When is Fiancé Visa Better than Green Card through Marriage?

Fiancé Visa vs Marriage-Based Green Card

If you want to marry and live with your partner, but they aren’t a citizen of the United States, then you might be wondering whether you should apply for a fiancé visa or a marriage-based green card. In most cases, it’s easier and quicker to file a visa petition than it is to get a green card when it comes to applying for permanent resident status.

A fiancé visa or K-1 visa can help bring your immigrating partner to the US so you can get married and apply for residency, but it also has some limitations. Ultimately, whether a fiance visa is a better choice than a marriage-based green card depends on your fiance’s present visa status. If you have questions about fiance visas, feel free to contact us at Andres Mejer Law.

Advantages of Fiance Visas

The main advantage of applying for fiance visa is that USCIS processing times for visa application takes about half the time it would take to apply for a green card with consular processing. You’ll also be able to stay together in the United States while they’re in the process of applying to be a lawful permanent resident.

  • The processing times of applying for a green card through marriage typically takes 10 to 18 months. This means that you and your spouse won’t be able to live together while waiting for the decision on adjustment of status from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • With fiance visa applications, you’ll only need to wait for five to nine months for an nonimmigrant visa to enter the US. Once your immigrant partner arrives, you’ll have 90 days to get married. Once married, your spouse becomes eligible for obtaining a green card. You still need to file your green card application and go through the green process (which takes another five to nine months), but you’ll be able to live together in the US.

If you’re unsure whether you qualify for a fiance visa, consult with an immigration attorney before filing an immigrant petition.

Limitations of Fiance Visas

The major limitation of a fiance visa is that you can only apply for it if your partner is outside the country and doesn’t already have a visa to enter the US. Certain situations can affect your eligibility to go through the immigration process using a K-1 visa. Some examples include the following:

  • Entering the United States using a student visa, TN visa, or tourist visa. Using these visas with the intent to stay indefinitely is considered visa fraud, and can affect future applications and immigrant petitions. Instead, you can use your time together to see whether you’re compatible. Once your partner goes back to their home country, they can apply for a fiance visa or a green card, depending on whether you got married during your time together. Consult an immigration lawyer if you’re unsure whether you’re qualified for a fiance visa.
  • Getting married prior to your fiance visa application. If you married your immigrating spouse before you filed your application, the petitioner can still apply for immigrant visas but not for fiance visas. Getting married to a nonimmigrant prior to applying means that the couple is no longer qualified for a fiance visa.
  • Your fiance is currently in the United States. If your partner is already in the US, then you won’t be able to get a fiance visa since they no longer need it to enter the country.

If your fiancé doesn’t already have a visa, then it may be difficult for her to get one in this climate. Applying for other types of visas when they’re already considering marrying you would likely result in denial of their immigration petition. In this case, fiancé visa may be the right choice, and the only choice, for you.

If you have questions or need legal help getting your fiance or spouse into the US, speak with our experienced immigration attorney at Andres Mejer Law today to get the answers and solutions you need to start your immigration journey.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación