TN Visa | TN visa lawyers | Eatontown, NJ

We Are Here 24/7! Call Now!

TN NAFTA Professionals

TN Visa Attorneys in Eatontown, New Jersey

NJ TN Visa Lawyers

The majority of immigrants are uninformed that there are hundreds of options for obtaining legal status in the United States. Many immigration lawyers are unaware of all of the options for getting a green card. You should contact Andres Mejer, an immigration lawyer in New Jersey.

He is a well-known immigration advocate and a top-rated immigration attorney in the state of New Jersey. He has assisted thousands of immigrants, including you, in resolving their immigration issues and obtaining green cards. We believe that now, more than ever, is the best time for immigrants to correct their immigration status, and we wish to assist them. Consult him right now to get solutions to your immigration questions.

What is a TN Visa, and Why Is It Needed?

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has been renamed the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA). 

A multilateral agreement between the United States, Canada, and Mexico established a unique economic and trading relationship between the three countries. The USMCA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in the United States for a specific employer on a temporary basis. The visas have a three-year validity duration and can be prolonged.

Who is qualified for a TN visa?

The USMCA TN visa allows professionals from Mexico and Canada to operate in the United States if they meet the following:

  • They are Canadian or Mexican citizens.
  • Their line of work is in the NAFTA list of professions.
  • A NAFTA expert is required for the position in the United States.
  • They possess the essential qualifications for the job.
  • They will work for a U.S. firm in a prearranged full-time or part-time work.

It is possible to change jobs at any moment by acquiring new TN status from a new employer. Before new employment may begin, the change should be approved. Working for a new employer before receiving approval violates the TN visa requirements, and unlawful presence will become a problem. Changes in employment can be made from within the United States or even at a port of entry after leaving the country.

What are the criteria for Canadian and Mexican Citizens?

  • Criteria differ between Canadians and Mexicans.

    For Canadian Citizens

    You don’t have to file for a TN visa at the U.S. Consulate if you are a Canadian citizen. You can apply for a TN visa at the border by demonstrating your eligibility and delivering the required paperwork to CBP (Customs and Border Protection). The CBP officer will usually request a letter from your potential employer describing the job.

    Alternatively, the potential employer might file Form I-129 on Canadian citizens’ behalf. Following approval, the potential employer may petition CBP for admission of the nonimmigrant.

    The main advantage for Canadian professionals is that they’re no longer subject to the H-1B’s number restrictions. Nonimmigrant intent is still a factor at the border and can be grounds for entrance denial. They are eligible for accelerated application processing at the border without limiting the number of visa renewals or re-entry into the U.S.

    For Mexican Citizens

    Unless you’re a Mexican national, you must apply for a TN visa through a US Consulate. If you are given a visa, you should apply to CBP, and if you are eligible, you could enter the United States.

    The TN Visa is initially issued for up to three years. Renewals are given without leaving the country if your employer files Form I-129.

    Employers of Mexican professionals seeking TN status must apply for Nonimmigrant Worker and a Labor Certification, as required for the H-1B. The TN Visa has the advantage of providing an additional 5,500 visas for Mexicans when the H-1B limit is met. Mexicans can also prolong their stay in the United States beyond the H-1B six-year limit.

The TN visa is not a “dual intent” visa like other temporary work visas. By entering the United States, you are indicating that you will not attempt to settle in the country permanently.

Of course, there may be scenarios in which you marry an American citizen or green card holder while in the United States and therefore qualify for a green card. If this occurs, you may be permitted to remain in the United States and change your status.

Your spouse and children under 21 years old may be entitled to accompany you under TD (TN-Dependent) status, depending on their citizenship.

They will not require a visa to enter the United States if they are Canadian citizens. Once they reach a port of entry, they will only need to show proof of their Canadian citizenship, their connection, and that they have been granted permission to enter the US under the TN category. To demonstrate this, they can provide documents such as a passport, a marriage or birth certificate, and a copy of your admission documents.

Before entering the United States, non-Canadian family members must file for a TD nonimmigrant visa at a US consulate or embassy. Suppose a Canadian with TN status wishes to go to the United States with their non-Canadian dependents. In that case, they must first apply for a TN visa at a US consulate or embassy before their dependents can apply for TD visas.

It is dependent on your line of work. To be qualified for a TN visa, you must demonstrate that you are a qualified professional with a bachelor’s degree in one of the recognized specialized occupations.

However, depending on your industry, an option including a post-secondary credential and three years of experience may be sufficient to demonstrate your competence.

What’s the grace period if I am on a TN visa and leave my job?

If you quit your work while your TN visa remains active, you have 60 days to find a new job, change your status, or prepare to depart the United States.

Call our TN Visa Lawyers today!

The application procedures differ for Mexican and Canadian nationals, and there are other dual intent problems to consider. Additionally, specific professional job assignments are subject to increased inspection by immigration officials on a TN visa. Because some TN visa applications are scrutinized more thoroughly than others, seeking the help of TN visa attorney Andres Mejer Law is recommended.

For the majority of legal concerns, specialized legal assistance is accessible. Each case is different, so getting legal counsel is a wise first step toward better understanding your legal status and determining the best course of action in your case. A competent lawyer is familiar with the local laws that apply to your case and can advise you on your best legal alternatives. Most importantly, there are some instances and circumstances – like being criminally charged – in which you should always seek the advice of an expert attorney.

Andres Mejer Law can also help you with your legal issues, includes:


  • Deportation issues
  • Immigration waiver
  • Family immigration
  • Employment-based immigration
  • Fiancé or Marriage visa
  • Victim of crime or abuse
  • Abandoned child immigrant
  • Deferred action
  • Becoming a U.S. Citizen
  • VAWA immigration

Criminal Defense

  • Traffic tickets
  • Assault charges
  • Drug charges
  • Shoplifting
  • Driving under the influence

Family Law

  • Divorce
  • Child custody
  • Alimony
  • Marital property

new testimonial1(a)

“I had no problem reaching out to Andres Mejer. He has attended the court hearing and answered all the questions of the prosecutor…thank you, Andres!”


“I knew that I couldn’t just go to court alone to defend myself…but Andres was there to help me. He has helped me successfully apply for a U VIsa.”

new testimonial3

“Nobody can help me in the past, but Attorney Andres Mejer was able to help me fix my immigration problem. He has guided me through the immigration process and has encouraged me to fight and never give up my freedom to live in the U.S.”

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2023 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación