Ms. Libia B married a man that was extremely older in age. Mr. Francisco filed for Libia’s adjustment on March 5,…
George shows how Social Media can end your marriage
George’s wife agreed that George can take the kids to Florida on a vacation. She was going to come, but changed her mind. George decided to go anyway. Only he brought his new girlfriend. They had a great time. They took lots of pictures. Some of those pictures made it on social media. George’s wife saw the pictures, and well, her reaction wasn’t pretty. She attacked George. George didn’t defend himself. Instead he went to the police; this wasn’t the first time this happened. Two days later, George was arrested for allegedly hitting his wife, an act of Domestic Violence. George’s wife told the police that he had hit her and threatened her, resulting in a Temporary Restraining Order.Now George couldn’t see his kids. He couldn’t get into the house. He also had a trial coming up on whether a Judge should give his wife a Final Restraining Order or give him one against her. He needed an attorney. We ordered the police reports, photo, video statements, and evaluated all the evidence. Her case wasn’t strong. She ultimately dismissed her request of a Temporary Restraining Order rather than face a trial.George initially came to Andres Mejer Law because he wanted to exchange his green card for a U.S. citizenship. We had to put that process aside while we fought the Domestic Violence charge. Although the restraining order has been dismissed the criminal charges are still pending.
3 Basic Social Media Rules
George shouldn’t have been in this situation. Here are some basic social media rules:
- Don’t write or post anything you wouldn’t say to someone in person;
- Don’t write or post anything you would be ashamed of five years from now. Forget privacy settings. If it is on social media it is accessible to someone;
- Don’t be stupid. For example, if you are having an extra marital don’t post photographs of yourself with your girl-friend. Or make sure she doesn’t post photos of the two of you. Here is another example, if you are in an accident and claim a serious injury don’t post a photo of crossing the finish line of a marathon
These are 3 simple rules. I hope they help you avoid a similar unfortunate situation. .
If you face an immigration challenge we have some valuable resources for you:
- Do You Need an Immigration Attorney? You Might Not – I will explain when you need an immigration attorney. Not every needs one. I will also explain the benefits of hiring one in any immigration challenge.
- 7 Critical Questions to ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney – If you have decided that you need an immigration attorney, how do you make sure you hire a good one? I explain to you the questions you need to ask before you hire your immigration attorney.
- An Immigrant’s Guide to Municipal Court – Here I discuss what happens if you get arrested by Immigration Customs Enforcement, what you need to know to get out of custody, and what to expect if you are placed in removal hearings. I also explain the municipal court process and how a municipal court matter can result in your being placed into removal proceedings.
If you have immigration questions, we have answers.
- Call our knowledgeable staff at 888-743-8046;
- Fill out our contact us form on this page; or
- Select our live chat feature to speak to someone right away.
We help immigrants, one petition at a time.
Social Media Rules to avoid destroying your marriageShare This Post!