Fiancé Visa Requirements

What You Need to Get a Fiancé Visa

Fiancé visa or K-1 visa allows a U.S. citizen to bring their engaged partner to enter the United States in order to get married. It allows a couple to wait together in the US while their paperwork is being processed for an immigrant green card. In order to apply for a visa petition for your immigrating fiancé, you need to meet each of these five basic requirements.

If you’re considering applying for a K1 visa for your fiancé, make sure to consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

1. You should be a citizen and not just a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

An immigrant partner can only apply for a fiancé visa if their partner is a U.S. citizen. Having permanent residence from a work permit or work visa is not enough to apply for a nonimmigrant visa for your partner.

2. You should have met your fiancé in person in the last two years.

Keep photos, receipts, and other travel documents from your trip to prove that you’ve physically met.. Make sure you have the information backed up and saved in a safe place, since you could lose these if it’s just saved on your phone.

Some exceptions are allowed for customary and religious reasons, but for most cases, you should’ve met with your partner in person to be eligible to apply for this type of nonimmigrant visa. Speak with an immigration lawyer if you think you qualify for this exception.

3. You and your partner are both free to marry.

This means that both of you are either single, divorced, or widowed. Additionally, you should make sure your fiancé has sole custody of any kids they want to bring to the US, and is in possession of their children’s passport.  You don’t want to get your visa approved, then find out that your immigrant partner needs to start a family law process, which can take months or years, in her home country. Make sure to do that first before applying for the K-1 visa.

4. You don’t have any major criminal history.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) typically won’t deny a petition because of a U.S. citizen’s criminal history, unless involving domestic violence or sexual abuse of minors. On other hand, your fiancé will undergo much more scrutiny.  Criminal conduct by your fiancé may result in a denial or the need for a waiver.

If you or your fiancé has a criminal conviction, make sure you get it evaluated by an experienced immigration attorney.  Serious criminal convictions can disqualify you from the fiancé visa process.

5. You can financially support your fiancé in the US.

Before applying for immigrant or nonimmigrant visas, make sure you earn enough to support your fiancé and their dependents, or get a joint sponsor. You, the U.S. citizen, need to earn 100% of the federal poverty guidelines for your household.  However, to apply for the green card, you’ll need to show that you can maintain 125% of the specified amount for your household size. Those who are in active military duty are exempted, and will only need to maintain 100% instead of 125%. The federal poverty guidelines are shown below.

Sponsor’s Household Size 


100% of HHS Poverty Guidelines*  125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines* 
For sponsors on active duty in the U.S. armed forces who are petitioning for their spouse or child  For all other sponsors 
$17,240   $21,550  
$21,720   $27,150  
$26,200   $32,750 

Make sure you have your key documents for all of the requirements discussed above. Forgetting even one of this paperwork will result in delays in the processing times of your visa application. As much as 30% of visa applications are delayed or denied because their visa application form is incomplete or has mistakes.

If you’re thinking of filing an application for a fiancé visa or K-1 visa, contact Andres Mejer Law to know whether you qualify. Schedule an immigration strategy and start your immigration journey with us today.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación