Why Would Green Card Renewal Be Denied? | NJ Immigration Lawyers

Why Would Green Card Renewal Be Denied?

Denial of a Green Card Renewal


Green card renewal


Trying to understand US immigration laws can be a very daunting task. While you would likely be familiar with the terms citizenship, permanent residency, nationality, and visa, not a lot are aware of how consular processing, adjustment of status, and travel documents come into play vis-a-vis one’s immigration status. As such, if you have any clarifications related to the green card process (such as renewal), speak to credible and hands-on New Jersey immigration lawyers.


Understanding the Nature of US Green Card Applications

While getting a green card can inherently be difficult for a foreigner, many people willingly go through a tedious application process to successfully get a green card. Immigrants applying for a green card should seek legal help from experienced immigration attorneys, particularly when preparing supporting documents for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (or USCIS office, which is the government agency covering these things).

If things go well and you successfully obtain permanent resident status, it is essential to remember that your permanent residence card has a default validity of ten years. A green card holder may renew a legal document expiring in the next six months if the need arises. While you will not lose your lawful permanent resident status simply because your card has expired, a green card application for renewal is crucial for various reasons. Experienced New Jersey immigration lawyers can explain these.


An Overview of the Green Card Renewal Process

Before you apply for a green card renewal, you must first be mindful of the necessary immigration forms and paperwork involved. If you want to renew your green card, you must file Form I-90 approximately six months before the actual expiration date. When renewing your green card, a competent local attorney can help as you fill out and submit required USCIS forms.

As stated on the USCIS website, a Form I-90 may be submitted either online or through the mail, and you shall receive a receipt with a tracking number after one to three weeks. With this are an accompanying $455 filing fee and an $85 biometrics appointment fee. Afterward, an immigration officer shall notify you of the schedule of your biometrics appointment, which is usually four to eight weeks after you submitted your renewal application. 

Your Notice of Appointment and a valid passport or identification card shall be prepared for fingerprinting, where an immigration officer will capture your photo, fingerprint, and other biometric data at an FBI field office.

Based on current processing times for renewals, a new green card may be mailed twelve to thirteen months after filing. However, the actual processing time will depend both on the evidence submitted and if an immigration service professional was making sure that you are doing things correctly.


Renewals and Denials for Green Cardholders

Your green card renewal application could be for foreign nationals who are considered a public charge (or someone who will depend entirely or mainly on the government, usually through Supplemental Security Income, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and other social programs) denied. For many reasons, the government may also deny legal permanent resident status to applicants who are at risk of becoming a public charge.

Additionally, it is essential to remember that you must file renewals within six months before the expiration date. While getting caught without the legally required green card can lead to a $100 fine (or sometimes even a misdemeanor charge or jail time), filing for renewal too soon may lead to a denial of your application. This could delay the process and leave you without a valid card for much longer than if you had waited for the six-month window.


Seek Legal Help From a Trusted New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Upon receipt, the USCIS office will accept your application only if it is complete. Incomplete paperwork could be rejected, although you will typically have the opportunity to fix any errors and resubmit a rejected application. The USCIS will likely reject a green card renewal application if it is not signed if it is not filled out correctly, or if the filing fee is incorrect.

While you are not required to have a lawyer to renew your expired permanent residence card, an experienced attorney can help keep things more straightforward. They can assist you as you fill out your application and, in certain situations, appropriately respond to any Requests for Evidence that may arise. While the USCIS website indicates current processing times, green card renewal applications generally take up to twelve or thirteen months, or even more. 

If you want to know how to apply for a green card or if you have questions about the green card renewal process, contact our New Jersey immigration law firm. We will be glad to assist you with immigration paperwork and necessary supporting documents.

Make sure you go through your green card application and renewal without unnecessary stress. Call Andres Mejer Law at (888) 695-6169 to consult with a reliable New Jersey immigration lawyer today.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación