What is the Special Immigrant Juvenile Status?

What Does A SIJ Status Mean?

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJ) is a status that people under age 21 can obtain if they have been abandoned, abused, or neglected by one or both of their parents and other criteria stated in immigration law. It’s similar to the asylum in that you’ll have to prove that you can’t return to any part of your country because of certain bad things that are likely to happen to you.

In the SIJ context, returning to your home country as a minor means that you’ll have to live with your parents. However, if it’s your parents you’re running away from because they’ve abandoned, abused, or neglected you in the past, then it wouldn’t be appropriate for you to be sent back to their home. If you’re at risk of getting deported, make sure to speak with an immigration attorney.

When is SIJ more appropriate than asylum?

Immigrants who are underage often qualify for both asylum and SIJ. In recent years, many minors have tried to enter the US alone and were caught by customs and border protection.  For immigrants like them, becoming an asylee or a special immigrant juvenile are the only two options they have.

Moreover, there has been an increasing number of parents coming to the border with their kids in the past two year. Often, they are running from an abusive partner who is the father of the kids.  In this case, the mom has to decide whether she’s going to:

  • file for asylum for the herself and her kids, or
  • file for asylum for herself and SIJ for the kids.

In most cases, filing for asylum is the mother’s only option, and it’s easier to prove that her kids qualify for SIJ even though the immigration process is more complicated.

Can you apply for a green card application through SIJ?

Having an SIJ status allows you to waive some things that might otherwise keep you from getting a green card. This is similar to what a Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) or U-visa does, which can waive the following to let you obtain permanent residency:

  • Working without authorization,
  • Unlawful entry,
  • Public charge,
  • False claims to US Citizenship, and
  • And other immigration violations that might be grounds for inadmissibility in the US.

A special immigrant juvenile status doesn’t waive everything, but it does allow you to apply for a discretionary waiver based on “humanitarian purposes, family unity, or public interest.”  Unlike most waivers, you don’t need to show extreme hardship to get a permanent resident status.  For example, you can waive if you:

  • Are HIV positive,
  • Have a drug addiction, or
  • Have a mental or physical disorder that poses a risk to people or property.

 Hence, you can get your green card through SIJ, just like VAWA or U-visa, but you’ll need to go through more steps in the green card process.

Do I need an immigration attorney for SIJ?

Immigration attorneys can help you determine whether you’re eligible for an SIJ status and discuss other options to consider. Since you’ll have to prove that you qualify as a special immigrant juvenile, getting legal assistance from an experienced immigration attorney who’s knowledgeable in immigration laws increases your chances of getting your application approved.

At Andres Mejer Law, we follow a three-step process when meeting every potential client.

  1. We first determine if you are eligible for a legal status, like SIJ.
  2. If you are eligible, we explore if there anything in your past that could stop you from being approved.
  3. If there is something that could keep you from being approved, we figure out if there is a way to overcome that.

We do this because we won’t want to waste your time or money.  If we can’t help you, we won’t take your money. However, if there’s a way for you to get legal status, then we’ll provide legal help for your immigration journey. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation!

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación