¿Puedes extender su estadía si eres no es inmigrante? ¡Absolutamente! Y estamos aquí para mostrarte la forma correcta de hacerlo.…
The 2014 Surge
The challenge with family detention is that many of these families come over with young children. Since 2012, the number of families, primarily mothers with young children, that have been crossing the Southern border has increased dramatically. Many of these families are claiming asylum: most are seeking refuge from domestic violence, organized crime and gang violence in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. This issue gain national attention in the spring and summer of 2014, when thousands of mothers and children sought safety at the U.S.-Mexico border. This surge of mothers with young children caught at the border, leads to the detention of a small children. These children have committed no crime, and are being forced to live a period of their early life in a prison.
Alternatives to Family Detention
There are alternative options to detention. For example, community support programs, monitoring and ankle bracelets. These methods allow us to treat children like children, rather than criminals. The anklet program in particular has been proven to ensure immigrants appear at court hearings. They are also much cheaper costing approximately $17 a day instead of over $300 a day for detention.
What should be done?
Family detention should be eliminated if this nation wants to hold any pride in its immigration policies. We should implement sensible, effective, and humane policies that protect vulnerable children and families.
- End Family Detention;
- Allow Immigration Bond. In some jurisdictions, families are arbitrarily denied immigration bond thus mandating detention; and
- Allow Alternatives like ankle bracelets and monitoring for the parents.
Free Resources Available for You
If you face immigration an immigration challenge we have some valuable resources for you:
- Do You Need an Immigration Attorney? You Might Not I will explain when you need an immigration attorney. Not every needs one. I will also explain the benefits of hiring one in any immigration challenge.
- 7 Critical Questions to ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney If you have decided that you need an immigration attorney, how do you make sure you hire a good one? I explain to you the questions you need to ask before you hire your immigration attorney.
- An Immigrant’s Guide to Municipal Court Here I discuss what happens if you get arrested by Immigration Customs Enforcement, what you need to know to get out of custody, and what to expect if you are placed in removal hearings. I also explain the municipal court process and how a municipal court matter can result in your being placed into removal proceedings.
If you have immigration questions, we have answers. You can
- Call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169;
- Fill out our contact us form on this page; or
- Select our live chat feature to speak to someone right away.
We help immigrants, one petition at a time.