Qualification for Asylum Status
You must meet all of the following in order to qualify:
- You must apply within one year of your most recent arrival in the U.S., or within a reasonable time after establishing changed circumstances or extraordinary circumstances
- You have been persecuted (harm) in the past, and/or you fear persecution in the future. You must show past persecution, or at least a 10% chance of persecution if you return to your home country.
- The persecution you fear is on account of one of the five protected grounds.
- You must show that the abuse has been, or would be, inflicted by the government or by a group the government is unable or unwilling to control.
- You do not have an aggravated felony or “particularly serious crime.”
- You can show you deserve to receive asylum because of your good moral character.