Immigration Waiver | Immigration Waiver Attorney | Eatontown, NJ

We Are Here 24/7! Call Now!


Immigration Waiver

Provisional Unlawful Presence Immigration Waiver

Many individuals from around the world wish to take their families with them to the United States in search of a better future and greater opportunities. The intricacies of immigration, however can make it quite challenging for many to attain the American dream. This is where an immigration waiver attorney from Eatontown, NJ can help. 

An immigration waiver, better known as a I-601A Waiver or Waiver of Unlawful Presence is given to those individuals that have been staying in the United States without permission due to illegal entry or border crossing. Children below 18 do not accrue lawful presence. The waiver enables certain immigrants to file applications that help avoid triggering the inadmissibility bar.

Seasoned Immigration Waiver Attorney from Eatontown, NJ

America has some harsh penalties if you are here illegally. Many, because of their unlawful presence cannot apply for a green card, even if they are married to a U.S. citizen, until they stay outside of the U.S. for three-years or ten years. If you are one of those people, Good News! A waiver is available. 

As always, remember that immigration law is incredibly complicated. You should seek the advice of an experienced New Jersey immigration lawyer prior to taking any immigration action including seeking a waiver for unlawful presence. Get in touch with a seasoned immigration waiver attorney from Andres Mejer Law. An attorney can explain the immigration concepts to you and provide you direction towards a favorable outcome. Schedule an appointment today.

Why do I need an Immigration Attorney in NJ?

When dealing with immigration matters, it can be quite tempting to skip getting legal help and just dive in head first and roll with the punches but given the complicated procedures involved in immigration, you could find yourself in a very confusing situation. Thus, it is best to enlist the help of an immigration waiver attorney from Eatontown, NJ

The immigration attorney at Andres Mejer Law are committed to helping immigrants attain a good life in the United States by sorting out their legal problems. The immigration attorney helps with a load of problems related to immigration and citizenships such as visas, green card, VAWA, and more. 

Enlist the help of an immigration waiver attorney should you have any concerns regarding your stay in the country. An attorney can review your case, answer any queries you migh have and any concerns that come your way. An attorney offer quality representation and fight for you when the need arises. Get in touch with an immigration attorney from Andres Mejer Law now!

What is an Immigration Waiver?

To define it succinctly, an immigration waiver or an I-601A is a waiver request form that is used by immigrants applying for a waiver of inadmissibility to overcome any hurdles from obtaining a green card. An immigrant may use an I-601A to overlook their criminal or fraudulent past or unlawful presence in order to obtain a green card.  

There is a more specialized way to use a form I-601A for close relatives of citizens and lawful permanent residents who are seeking waivers for unlawful presence and advance of leaving the US for an immigrant visa interview.  

Certainly, there are more to immigrant waivers than just a mere definition. Read on below and see how an immigration waiver attorney can help you. 

The Unlawful Presence Bar

Unlawful presence only means that you were in the U.S. without permission. That could have happened if you entered illegally by crossing the border. It can also happen when you enter legally but overstay your visa. However, you must be over 18 years old to accrue unlawful presence. You could be in the U.S. for 15 years as a minor, but you don’t accrue a single day of unlawful presence. Anyone with more than 180 days of unlawful presence (time spent in the U.S. with no valid status) is subject to a three-year inadmissibility bar. If the period of unlawful presence is longer than a year, the bar increases to ten years.

The inadmissibility bar is triggered when you leave the U.S. The Catch 22 that you face is that you are required to leave the U.S. to obtain permanent residency (green card) at a U.S. consulate in your home country. When you leave, however, you trigger the three or 10 year bar to re-entering the country. That means you must wait outside the U.S. away from your family until the inadmissibility bar passes, unless you qualify for a waiver.

What is the Traditional I-601 Waiver?

Alternatively, if you are subject to the unlawful presence bar you can file Form I-601, requesting a waiver of your inadmissibility. Traditionally, this meant that you had to leave the U.S., triggering the inadmissibility bar, then file the I-601 waiver, and wait outside the country for the waiver to be approved. Because of consular processing times, you often waited for months for your waiver to be approved. If the waiver was denied, you would be forced to remain outside the U.S. for the entire period of the inadmissibility up to ten years.

Not surprising, the prospect of departing the U.S. for an uncertain period kept many from filing in the first place. Many immigrants chose to not file for their green card despite their eligibility because of the uncertainty.

What Information Do You Need to Provide in an I-601 A

Before you can file for an I-601 A you would need to provide certain important information. Below are the information you need to have ready on your form: 


  • Identifying Information. Name, Alien Registration Number, and Social Security Numbers. 
  • Address. A mailing or actual address must be used. These will not be used by the Department of Homeland Security to deport immigrants unless they are a threat. 
  • Contact Information. Phone numbers and email addresses fall under contact info
  • Country of Birth and Citizen Information 
  • Last Entry to the United States. Provide the date, place, and manner of entry.
  • Information about previous US entries. 
  • Criminal History Information. Answer this section truthfully regarding your background, any past crimes, immigration violations and more. 
  • Information on the petitioner be it an employer or relative who petitioned a visa for you or if you self-petitioned.
  • Information on a qualifying relative
  • Additional Information. For things such as a request summary
  • Signature and Signature of the person preparing the application.

Call our Immigration Waiver Attorney Now!

Immigration can be a tricky area to navigate which is why it is important to get in touch with a seasoned immigration attorney. An attorney can help you better understand complicated terms in immigration, including those you would have to provide when filling up forms such as the I-601 A. Having a seasoned immigration lawyer on your side from Andres Mejer Law can help you inch one step closer to achieving the American Dream. Schedule an appointment with an immigration waiver attorney now. 


new testimonial1(a)

“I had no problem reaching out to Andres Mejer. He has attended the court hearing and answered all the questions of the prosecutor…thank you, Andres!”


“I knew that I couldn’t just go to court alone to defend myself…but Andres was there to help me. He has helped me successfully apply for a U VIsa.”

new testimonial3

“Nobody can help me in the past, but Attorney Andres Mejer was able to help me fix my immigration problem. He has guided me through the immigration process and has encouraged me to fight and never give up my freedom to live in the U.S.”

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación