- Protection from deportation for two years;
- Employment authorization for that two year period;
- Once approved you can apply for a social security card;
- In New Jersey, with work authorization and a social security card you can apply for a driver’s license;
- Once DACA is approved, you can also apply for permission to travel, referred to as Advance Parole; and
- Under limited circumstances you can use DACA, travel abroad through Advance Parole, and then use both to get a green card.
In the three years this program has been in action, still only half of those who qualify for DACA have applied. Some still question whether it is helpful. The National UnDACAmented Research Project was launched contemporaneous with the creation of the program to study the effects of DACA on those who qualify. A total of 2,684 respondents completed the survey. Let’s review its results, as documented by the American Immigration Council.
- New Jobs. Over 60% of respondents found new jobs since receiving DACA and almost half saw an increase in their salary.
- Driver’s License. Almost 60% received a driver’s license. This creates safety for all drivers and increased their educational and employment options.
- Bank Accounts. Almost half of respondents opened bank accounts for the first time.
- Health Care. Over 20% received health care insurance for the first time. The report concludes this is due to college enrollment and employment based plans.
One of the largest benefits the DACA program that people rarely acknowledge is that this program increases the morale of those who live here. There young people can now go to college and have a chance at the American Dream. Many have purpose and hope for the first time in their adult lives. Hopefully more will soon fell the same when DAPA and expanded DACA get implemented.
Free Resources Available for You
If you face an immigration challenge we have some valuable resources for you:
- Do You Qualify for Legal Status? If you aren’t legal in the U.S. you owe it to yourself to find out if you can get legal status. Select the link, answer the questions, and find out for FREE.
- Do You Need an Immigration Attorney? You Might Not I will explain when you need an immigration attorney. Not every needs one. I will also explain the benefits of hiring one in any immigration challenge.
- 7 Critical Questions to ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney If you have decided that you need an immigration attorney, how do you make sure you hire a good one? I explain to you the questions you need to ask before you hire your immigration attorney.
- An Immigrant’s Guide to Municipal Court Here I discuss what happens if you get arrested by Immigration Customs Enforcement, what you need to know to get out of custody, and what to expect if you are placed in removal hearings. I also explain the municipal court process and how a municipal court matter can result in your being placed into removal proceedings.
If you have immigration questions, we have answers. You can,
- Call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169;
- Fill out our contact us form on this page; or
- Select our live chat feature to speak to someone right away.
We help immigrants, one petition at a time.