Fiance Visa K-1 | Marriage Visa | Immigration Attorney | Eatontown NJ

We Are Here 24/7! Call Now!


Do you need help with a Marriage or K-1 Fiance Visa?

K-1 Fiancé Visa Attorney in New Jersey

A U.S. citizen may file for their spouse or fiance to come to the United States. This visa is called a K-1 Visa. This is issued to fiances of U.S. citizens entering the United States. Once they are in the country, they must marry within 90 days. Otherwise, USCIS will cancel the fiance visa or spouse visa. Our experienced New Jersey fiance visa attorney at Andres Mejer Law can help you through this process.

Attorney Andres Mejer and his legal team can assist you in preparing for your visa. Backed by years of experience, our immigration attorneys in Eatontown, NJ will ensure that all requirements are met. We will ensure that you and your fiancee are ready for the interviews and the necessary paperwork. Once your fiance arrives, we will also guide you through the steps required to complete your immigration journey, from permanent residency to U.S. citizenship.

How To Get a K-1 Fiancé Visa / Spouse Visa

A fiancé visa (also known as a K-1) will get you legally into the U.S. in order to marry your intended spouse. A fiancé visa (Form I-129f) is valid for six months. After you enter U.S., you must get married to your fiancée within 90 days. There is no legal way to extend the 90 days.

After the marriage, you must apply to adjust to permanent resident status (Form I-485). This will give you a two-year conditional residence (green card). Two years later you will have to petition to remove the conditions on your green card (Form I-751). Three years after, you will receive your initial green card. You can file for U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process if you are still married to your U.S. citizen spouse (form N-400).

Applying for a K-1 Fiance Visa / Spouse Visa

Once your case is at the National Visa Center (NVC), they will contact the sponsor via mail and advise you when the case is forwarded to the Embassy or Consulate in preparation for the interview. The consulate in the country where your fiance resides will contact your fiance to obtain additional information and documents, schedule a medical exam, and schedule the interview. Then once the visa is issued, the fiance must enter the United States within four months.

At Andres Mejer Law, our experienced K-1 visa and spouse visa attorney in Eatontown, NJ will guide you through the whole application process from start to finish. Our fiance visa lawyer has processed thousands of marriage visa applications and have helped countless immigrants gain legal status. Let us help you solve your immigration concerns! Schedule a consultation with us today.

Do I qualify for a fiance visa?

Intend to marry a U.S. citizen – This seems obvious but doesn’t lie just to get to the United States. If you are caught, both you and your fiancé will face jail, fines, and you may lose any chance of legally coming to the U.S. Also your intended must be a U.S. citizen, either naturalized or born a citizen. A green card holder can’t petition for a fiancé;

Have met your fiancé in person during the last two years – There are exceptions to this requirement where you can show cultural customs (like arranged marriages) or extreme hardship (medical or emergency situations) that prevented you from seeing each other during the last two years; and

Are legally able to marry. For example, if you were previously married you must first get a divorce before you marry your intended or if you are a widower, you must show a death certificate.


What do I need to petition for my fiancé?

  • Letter or affidavit from each of you saying you intend to marry each other within 90 days of entering the U.S.;
  • Proof that the two of you met in person within two years of filing the petition or proof as discussed above of a cultural or extreme hardship;
  • Proof that you both are legally able to marry (age for getting married, not presently married, etc.);
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship of petitioner;
  • Birth Certificate of fiancée or passport;
  • Divorce Decree or Death Certificate of any previous spouse; and
  • Affidavit of Support that you will and can financially support your spouse.

How much income do I need to support my fiancé?

Although the K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa (which lasts only 90 days), it will also allow your fiancé to apply for a green card within 90 days of entering the U.S. The financial standards for most non-immigrant visa only require you to show that you have sufficient assets to cover your fiancé’s time in the U.S., fiancé visas need to show more in order to get the visa approved.

You will have to fill out Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, and prove that you have sufficient income to support your fiancé. I recommend that you satisfy the higher requirements for the adjustment of status application (Form I-485), which you will be filing within 90 days of your fiancé’s entry into the U.S. When your fiancé visits the U.S. consulate to get her visa, you don’t want a denial because of inadequate finances.

To avoid any delay, you should meet the higher standard. That means you need to show that you can support your fiancé at 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The guidelines are published annually on Form I-864P and are based on your household size (usually taken from your income tax returns) including your fiancé and dependents.

If you can’t meet the financial standard for getting your fiancé a visa, then you need to consider having a friend or family member serve as a joint sponsor. That is someone who agrees to share financial support for your fiancée. In other words, if you can’t financially support your fiancé, the joint sponsor agrees to become 100% responsible for the support. Joint sponsors must sign a separate Affidavit of Support on Form I-134.

What about my fiancé’s kids, can they also come to the U.S.?

A K-2 visa is intended for dependents or kids of the noncitizen with a K-1 visa. Children will go through a similar process as the fiancé visa holder. 

Your fiancé’s kids may also enter the U.S. as her dependents with status known as K-2. However, they must be under 21 and unmarried when they enter the U.S. “Children” in this case includes your fiancé’s

  • natural kids,
  • adopted children,
  • and children born out of wedlock.

As long as you can prove that the “children” are recognized as your fiancé’s children in her country, U.S. will honor it.

You do need to be aware that there is a potential issue if your fiancé’s child is over 18 but under 21. The “child” will be allowed to enter the U.S. as a K-2 dependent. The immigration application issues come up when you file for the green card because in order to qualify as a “step-child” you must show that the marriage occurred before the child turned 18. If the child is already 18 and you are applying for a fiancé visa, then clearly that didn’t happen. This is an evolving area of US immigration law. There has been litigation on the issue. Before you apply make sure you discuss it with your NJ Immigration Attorney.

What is the process for a K-2 Visa?

You fiancé’s child will go through a similar process as your fiancé. In Form I-129F you must include the child in the indicated section. You must prove the child’s relationship to your fiancé with evidence. Consular forms will then be issued for both the fiancé and her children.

Typically, the interview happens on the same day for both of them. The children get factored into the household size when you prepare the Affidavit of Support, Form I-134.

After you get married and apply for a green card, you can file a separate adjustment of status (Form I-485) for your K-2 dependent children.

What if your step-child is about to turn 21?

Children must be under 21 and unmarried ideally at least 90 days before they enter the U.S. That will give you more than sufficient time for your fiancé to enter the U.S., get married, and file for adjustment of status. If your step-child is close to turning 21, you must alert immigration authorities and request that they expedite the process. They typically will.

What can Andres Mejer Law do for me?

This is a detailed and evolving area of the law. Make sure to contact a New Jersey immigration attorney for an initial consultation before you begin the fiancé visa process. One mistake can cost you months of headaches and jeopardize not only your wedding plans but your fiancé’s ability to get a green card.

If you are ready to speak to someone today, you can

  • Call 888-505-2017 and speak to our knowledgeable staff,
  • Fill out the contact form on this page; or
  • Select the live chat feature on this page.

At Andres Mejer Law we help immigrants, one fiancé visa petition at a time. We can also help you with:

We Solve Immigration Problems! Let our New Jersey fiance or spousal visa attorney help you start your immigration journey.

Need help with your K-1 visa application? Consult a New Jersey immigration attorney!

To obtain legal assistance regarding your K-1 visa application, call our New Jersey law firm. It is crucial that you consult with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer to help you understand every step of the visa application process. One mistake could lead to a delay, or worse, it could jeopardize your chances of getting your visa approved and will give you peace of mind.

Contact Andres Mejer Law to learn more about your options in getting a fiance visa. Our New Jersey fiance visa attorney will review your complete immigration history as well as the immigration status of your family to determine your eligibility. Let’s start your immigration journey today!


new testimonial1(a)

“I had no problem reaching out to Andres Mejer. He has attended the court hearing and answered all the questions of the prosecutor…thank you, Andres!”


“I knew that I couldn’t just go to court alone to defend myself…but Andres was there to help me. He has helped me successfully apply for a U VIsa.”

new testimonial3

“Nobody can help me in the past, but Attorney Andres Mejer was able to help me fix my immigration problem. He has guided me through the immigration process and has encouraged me to fight and never give up my freedom to live in the U.S.”

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2023 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación