How to Prove a Bonafide Relationship Without a Social Security Number

Tip of the Week #20

Proving A Bonafide Relationship

Hi everyone, my name is Andres Mejer. I’m a New Jersey immigration attorney who shares a weekly Tip of the Week on Youtube (every Friday night) to help you in your immigration journey. This week I’m answering a great question we got on Facebook.  

How do we get bills and a lease to prove to USCIS we have a bonafide relationship without a social security number?  

For those who don’t know, you must show USCIS that you have a bonafide relationship with your spouse in order to get a green card. But if you don’t have a social security number many people worry it is impossible to provide proof of that relationship. I’m going to give you some tips today to help with that.

How Our Immigration Attorney Can Help

Let me introduce myself first if you don’t know me. As I said my name is Andres Mejer. I’m an immigrant and immigration attorney. I came to the US as a child and learned to speak English from watching TV (Sesame Street). 

I got my green card through amnesty after living without a legal status in the US for many years. I know what you’re going through and the stress that you feel from not having a legal status.  

My goal is to make your life easier and less stressful. I want everyone who is eligible to get a legal status. I also want to make the process easier to understand and less confusing because I know that helps to reduce your stress.  

If you need help with your immigration case, call us. We’ll determine if you are eligible for a legal status and if you aren’t, we won’t take your money.

Getting Legal Status in the US

Do you remember how frustrating it was to get a job you really wanted when you didn’t have the experience they required? You kept thinking “how do I get experience without a job? And how do I get a job without experience?”  

The same thing is true when you are trying to get a legal status. 

You have to prove to USCIS that you have a bonafide relationship. In fact, they look at every relationship as only being entered into to get a green card and you basically have to prove them wrong. 

One way you do that is to provide bills you have together with your spouse. That includes electric and phone bills, a lease or mortgage where you live together, right?  

But if you don’t have a Social Security card (which you don’t get until further in your green card application process), how can you get your name on a shared bill?  

Often a Social Security number is required to get a lease. Mostly because they probably want to run your background or a credit check. You will need to explain to the landlord that you are applying for a legal status and don’t have a social security card at this time.  

Is it required by law to have a legal status to avail of services?


To be clear, there is no law that requires a landlord in the US to rent to someone without a legal status. So, a landlord can always say no. But if you never ask, the answer is always no so it doesn’t hurt to ask.  

Opening a Bank Account

Banks will let you open an account without a Social Security card. You will usually need to fill out a form W-8BEN “Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting” but both Wells Fargo and Bank of America will work with people without a social security number.   

License & Insurance

In many states, you do not need a Social Security number to get a state id and/or driver’s license. You can get one with the address where you live, which could also be considered proof to show you live with your spouse.  

You can even insure a car, in some states, without a Social Security number though there are fewer companies that will do that.  

Family Plan & Credit Card

You may be able to join a family plan for a cell phone without providing a Social Security number. This will give you a bill together that you can use to show you have a relationship with your spouse.  

Your spouse could also add you as an authorized user on their credit card to use as proof of your relationship.  

Other Ways to Prove Your Relationship

Keep in mind that in addition to bills, you can use other things to prove your relationship: 

  • You can show texts, emails, and phone calls between you and your spouse.
  • You can share affidavits from family and friends who know you both and can attest that your relationship is a true and valid relationship.  
  • If you go out to eat or travel together, proof of that – including photos – will also support your application.  

Call Our New Jersey Immigration Attorney Today!

As you can see there are a number of ways to prove you have a valid, bona fide relationship to USCIS. If you’re still worried about this, call us.

Our job is to develop the strongest, most convincing story and submit the support necessary so there is no question about the validity of your relationship. We have done this successfully for thousands of people and will do the same for you.  

Call us to see if you qualify for a free consultation today.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación