Work Authorization | Eatontown NJ | Andres Mejer Law

How do you fill out form I-765 to get work authorization?

There many people legally in the U.S. who don’t have a right to work, unless they applied and received work authorization. For example, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), those with pending adjustment of status applications, fiancé visa holders, and other some cases students. Typically the applicant will have to pay a filing fee with the filing of the I-765.

Even if you are not planning to work, you should still apply and receive it. . If you can get work authorization there is almost no reason not to apply for it, and many reasons to do so. It is valid photo government issued identification. You can use it to apply and receive a social security card and driver’s license.

How Do I fill out the Form?

Line 1 and 2: Write your full legal name as it appears on your passport, birth certificate, or identification card. If your name has changed, i.e., marriage or divorce, you must submit documents proving the name change (Judge’s Order or Marriage Certificate). In line 2 indicate prior name, such as a maiden name.

Line 3: Enter your current mailing address. You must be able to receive USCIS’s notices so make sure this information is correct.

Line 4-6: Fill in your citizen or nationality (usually the country where you were born or that issued you a passport). Line 5 you must indicate precisely where you were born. Line 6 fill in your date of birth in the appropriate format matching the date listed on your birth certificate, passport, or other official identification documents.

Line 7: This asks whether you are male or female.

Line 8: Write your marital status. If you are separated, but not legally divorced, check “Married” but explain it. If you are divorced or widowed it is always a good idea to include a copy of the divorce decree or death certificate. This is typically done in the application whereby you are receiving work authorization. For example, adjustment of status application.

Line 9: If you have a U.S. Social Security Number, put it here. If you never received one write “N/A.” If you have ever used a Social Security Number not specifically assigned in your name, DON’T use it here

Line 10: Alien Registration Number is the nine digit number that appears on every form issued by USCIS. You have an A-number if you have ever been in been in removal proceedings, or received any communications from USCIS. You almost certainly have an A number or otherwise wouldn’t be filing for work authorization. Otherwise put N/A

Line 11: If you have never applied for work authorization before, select no and proceed to line 12. If you have applied before, indicate where you applied, when you applied, and the result of the application. You also must submit copies of the decision.

Line 12-15: Write the date (line 12), City, and State (line 13) where you entered the U.S. If you entered legally, your passport or any arrival/departure documents should indicate where and when you entered. If you have no documents, use your best guess. Lines 14 and 15 ask your status when you entered and your status when you apply. If you entered legally your passport will show your status at entry and the expiration date of that status. If you entered without permission, indicated
“Entered without Inspection.”

Line 16: This asks for your basis to request work authorization. You will only get work authorization in the U.S. if there is a legal basis for it. You must indicate in this field what the basis is. You will need to review the instructions on the I-765 to confirm that the information. Here is an incomplete list of some of the reasons to apply for and receive work authorization

  • Granted Asylum (a)(5)
  • Temporary Protected Status (a)(12) and (c)(19)
  • F-1 Student Visa can be (c)(3)(A-C) depending on the circumstances
  • B-1 Nonimmigrant Domestic Servant of a US citizen (c)(17)(ii)
  • K-1 fiancée visa (a)(6)
  • Filed for adjustment of status (c)(9)
  • Granted Withholding of Removal (a)(10)
  • Paroled in the Public Interest (c)(11)
  • Deferred Action (c)(14)
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (c)(33)
  • U-Visa (a)(19)
  • VAWA (c)(31)

This can be complicated. You should never just file an employment authorization without a legal basis to do so. You will be throwing away your filing fee and can find yourself in removal proceedings.

If you would like to speak to our knowledgeable staff, call us at 888-695-6169

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación