How Much Do Fiance Visas Cost?

The Cost of Getting a Fiance Visa

Knowing how much filing a visa application costs is important if you and your partner are thinking of applying for a fiance visa and getting a green card through marriage. The costs vary for each individual case, but will depend on the process and proceeding you’ll need to go through to get a nonimmigrant visa and apply for a permanent resident status for your immigrating partner. This article discusses the four steps to the fiance green card process and how much to expect for each step.

If you’re thinking of applying for a fiance visa, make sure to discuss your case with an experienced immigration attorney to know whether you’re eligible and to determine your next best steps.

Visa Application

Your visa application begins with filling out Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance, and conducting a criminal background check on both of you. This typically costs around $2,000 to $4,000, with additional $500 to $1,000 for each dependent they want to bring with them to the US.

  • For the US citizen: Your immigration lawyer will need to evaluate your past criminal conduct. If you’ve been arrested in the past, you’ll need to get a background check run from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). If there are any serious crimes found, you may need to reopen those crimes and try to change the outcome through Post Conviction Relief (PCR). A motion for PCR can be expensive, as the cost depends on the conviction.
  • For the foreign citizen fiance: You’ll also need to examine your fiance’s criminal record. If your immigrant fiancé has prior misrepresentations, they may need a waiver, which typically costs between $3,000 to $6,000. If they were charged with any crimes, then they’d need to defend obtaining a green card later on. The cost will vary depending on their charges.

Financial affairs

Once you’ve completed the petition form and settled any issues regarding you and your partner’s background checks, you’ll have to go through the Department of State by filing Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) and Form I-134 Affidavit of Support. This step will cost between $2,000 to $4,000.

  • If you earn enough: If the affidavit successfully proves your ability to support your fiance, they’ll need to be interviewed at the US consulate or embassy closest to them.  Once approved, they’ll have 120 days to enter the US.
  • If you don’t earn enough: If you still want to go through the visa application, you’ll need to either find a way to earn more (such as by working longer hours or getting a higher-paying job) or get a joint sponsor. Including a joint sponsor will cost between $500 to $1,000, depending on the complexity of your case.
  • If you owe back taxes: You may want to pay off back taxes, or enter into a payment plan with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and stay current throughout the visa application process. An accountant can help you with this issue.
  • If you owe child support: Similarly, you may want to pay it off or enter into a payment plan to become current.  If you need to modify your child support order through court, that could cost around $3,500-$7,500 depending on the circumstances. 

Green Card Application

After your partner enters the US and the two of you get married, you can then apply for your spouse’s green card using Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence. This is the step where your partner goes from fiancé visa to lawful permanent resident. Note that this should be filed within 90 days of their entry to the US. If they brought any dependents under 21 years of age, you’ll have to file Form I-485 for each one as an immediate relative, as well as pay for the government filing fee for each one.

Interview Fees

The last step for getting an adjustment of status for your immigrant spouse is to attend the green card interview at USCIS offices.  The cost is typically $1,500 to attend the interview with you.  If you are fortunate, the officer can approve your petition the same day.  If not, they have 120 days to decide. 

The expenses described above considers almost every option.  It’s not common to have to file waivers or defend immigrants on the green card stage since they have been in the US for only a short time, but knowing the price helps you plan your expenses for immigration process. The entire process lasts for 16 to 24 months, and costs a total of $6,000-$9,000 in legal fees.

If you’re going to file a petition for a fiance visa to get your engaged partner into the US and get married, make sure you’re doing it the right way. Having an immigration attorney with you throughout the proceeding to provide legal assistance will make your immigration journey much smoother. Call us today at Andres Mejer Law to get quality and affordable legal assistance from our experienced immigration attorneys.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación