Getting Legal After Deportation Order

If I Had an Order of Deportation, Can I Get a Legal Status?

Andres Mejer, immigration attorney, answers a question from a previous live. The question was: If I have an order of deportation, and I’m married to a US Citizen, can I achieve a legal status? The answer is YES, you can. However, there are conditions you must meet.

Transcript (Transcripción):

Andres Mejer: Now in the prior program we had a couple of questions. One of them was if I have an order of deportation already but I’m married to a U.S. citizen can I achieve legal status? The answer is yes you can. The problem with that is let’s say I have an order of deportation from 20 years ago I came, crossing the border with Mexico. I was released I was told to appear in court and I didn’t. 20 years go by. I meet my wife. She’s married to me and I say listen I know I didn’t tell you before but I’m here illegally and I have an order deportation already. So my wife can follow me. The first part is gonna be document that relationship. Now here’s the problem. In this climate, they’re going to call me for an interview before that first stage. At the interview. Ice is gonna be there and they’re going to try to deport me. So I need to be prepared with a stay of removal. I need to be prepared with a file a motion to reopen that prior order of removal. I need to have all the documentation have my attorney reviewed it to figure out what the best strategy is or I’m going to file for a waiver and I tell the officer, Officer,.here’s the waiver that I have ready as soon as you approve my dad to show them the marriages is real. We have two kids and we’ve lived together for 13 years. I have that information now. You need to approve this so I can go to the next stage and the officer will approve it but I might get detained by ICE they might put up a bracelet on me. They may give me time to prove my case. Or they may not. You know if I served 20 years in jail for murder and now my wife’s a U.S. citizen applying for me. I’m screwed. It’s just that simple. I will be disqualified for any form of relief because of my past. So you need to evaluate what your options are and you gotta know that you can’t just show up without an attorney when you have an order of a rule because you will be picked up. It has happened to clients of ours. Well, when I say clients of ours I mean they start the process with a former attorney and then went to the interview without their attorney. When it was not told by their attorney that ICE would be there and then ICE detained him and then they come to us. Now it’s a whole lot harder to fix it in that scenario. I don’t have the proofs that are in the documentation. You know it becomes harder. I can’t do any of the preliminary work that they otherwise would do. But document the relationship. Either motion to reopen or an I-212 waiver. Once the waiver is approved. Then I go for an I-601 waiver for unlawful presence then he leaves the U.S. does the consular process route. So when you’re prepared ice typically will not pick you up unless there’s some significant you know criminality that’s involved. If you have any questions put him down below. Subscribe to our channel. If there’s a subject you want us to talk about in the future. Put it in the comments we’ll review it and maybe we’ll talk about it in the weeks to come.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación