Cancellation of Removal | Eatontown NJ

Cancellation of Removal

Getting your Green Card with Cancellation of Removal

What is Cancellation of Removal?

What is Cancellation of Removal? How do you apply for it? And what is the process you need to follow to get it?

That’s going to be the subject on today’s tip of the week.  First, what is Cancellation of Removal?

This is a defense for non-lawful permanent residents against deportation, and a pathway to a green card for people who are in removal (deportation) proceedings.


CoR Process

So, first, to apply for CoR you MUST BE in removal proceedings, you could say that is the first step. With that in mind, this is how the CoR process goes:

The background check, this is a very much mandatory step in most immigration process for clients of Andres Mejer Law.

And in this case, what you’ll need to prove is this:

  • That you have been physically present in the United States continuously for at least ten (10) years,
  • You have had a good moral character for 10 years,
  • You have not been convicted of certain crimes, and
  • To deport you would cause extreme hardship to USC/LPR child, spouse, or parent.

Cancellation of Removal applicants can apply for a work card after filing their EOIR 42B application with USCIS and Immigration court.

To get a work card, there must be proof that the application was filed in both places, not just one.

The next step is to gather all your documents. All documents, even if they are only for a few years, are useful. Some examples of documents that prove continuous presence include: 

  • Lease contract/agreements for the last 10 years 
  • Any bills that show continuous charges (month by month) 
  • Bank account activity/statements for the last 10 years 
  • Medical/Psychological Records for the last 10 years, including spouse and children 
  • School attendance records of children for the past 10 years 
  • W-2 forms from employers 
  • Records of sending money to family members abroad 
  • Letters from USC or LPRs stating when they met the applicant. The writer of the letter must clearly say “I am a United States Citizen” or I am a Legal Permanent Resident” (driver’s license preferred)
  • Letters for employers stating years the applicant has worked for or with them 
  • Any other document that documents proving US presence.  

For the evidence of good moral character, you must show:

  • Copy of taxes for the past 10 years (also relevant for continuous presence)  
  • Letters of recommendation, showing how good of a person the applicant is. (This could be letters from church, friends, employers, or organizations) 
  • Copy of all criminal issues, if there are none, then copy of the FBI report showing a clean record.

And finally, Evidence for Extreme Hardship on USC/LPR Family Member:

  • Medical records stating a diagnosis, a serious medical condition for as long as they have had it
  • Records of counseling or psychologists
  • Evidence of special needs in school, (IEP) Individualized Learning Program for all years they have been in the program
  • Letters from doctors, psychologist stating how the USC/LPR would suffer if they had to join the applicant in another country or if the applicant was deported.
  • Evidence of financial burden deportation would cause the rest of your family, mortgage payments, credit card bills, rent, etc.

After that, you will need to prepare your EOIR 42B application and mail it to USCIS for review

Once they receive it, you will be getting a receipt confirming that indeed they have received it. If everything is in order USICS will schedule your biometrics appointment.

After you complete this step, you will be able to apply for a work permit. The next step is to file your COR package with supporting documents to the court.

You will then need to have a final hearing at the court, and finally, to complete the process, wait for the judge’s decision, which hopefully, would be positive. 


Consulting a New Jersey Immigration Attorney

This is, in a nutshell, how the Cancellation of Removal process goes. As I always mention, every case is different and must be treated based on its specific circumstances. 

If you are under a removal process and want to talk about your options on how to cancel it, please reach out, we can discuss the best option for you.   Remember, if we can’t help you, we won’t take your money. 

Or if there is any other immigration situation you want to discuss, please contact us, we’ll be glad to help you. As always, be healthy and stay well. 

My name is Andres Mejer, I’m an immigration attorney in New Jersey and an immigrant myself. 

My family and I once were where you are right now. We came to this country with a tourist visa back in the 80’s and overstayed our visa. We lived for a long time without a legal status meaning that my parents couldn’t get a legal job or even a driver’s license. We got scammed by people that said they were going to help us, we lost time and a lot of money for nothing.

And it’s because of that experience that I decided to become a lawyer, to help good people like you, who are fighting hard for their dreams and their family, to achieve legal status here in the U.S.

Remember, the greatest tool you can have is information. If you are prepared and know your rights and options, things will always be easier. 

Schedule a consultation with our NJ immigration law firm today to know how we can help.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación