EB-2: Advanced Degree Immigrant Visa | Eatontown, New Jersey

We Are Here 24/7! Call Now!

Eatontown EB-2 Visa Lawyer

A green card is granted to a professional foreign national with an advanced degree who has been offered a job or who wishes to work in the United States. If you are one of these persons, you may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident of the US.

Before applying for an EB-2 visa, you must first take note of the requirements and documents needed. Continue reading the article to know more about:

  • How you can qualify;
  • What an advanced degree is;
  • The need for a labor certificate; and
  • The national interest waiver. 

If you want to know if you are qualified, feel free to contact our New Jersey immigration lawyer to provide you with quality legal representation and aid.

Why do I need an EB-2 Visa Attorney?

EB-1 visa attorney

A fiancé visa (also known as a K-1) will get you legally into the U.S. in order to marry your intended spouse. A fiancé visa (Form I-129f) is valid for six months. After you enter U.S., you must get married to your fiancée within 90 days. There is no legal way to extend the 90 days.

After the marriage, you must apply to adjust to permanent resident status (Form I-485). This will give you a two-year conditional residence (green card). Two years later you will have to petition to remove the conditions on your green card (Form I-751). Three years after, you will receive your initial green card. You can file for U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process if you are still married to your U.S. citizen spouse (form N-400).

What exactly is an EB-2: Advanced Degree Immigrant Visa?

This type of employment-based immigrant visa is reserved for professional foreign nationals with advanced degree/s who wish to migrate to the United States to accept a work offer.

This is sometimes referred to as EB-2A or employment second preference. There are two subcategories within this category: (1) workers with advanced degrees or (2) exceptional ability in sciences, arts, and business.

Among the five employment-based immigrant visa choices, EB-2 may be the quickest immigration procedure because few individuals qualify for it. 

Take note! There are only a limited number of visas that are given annually.  That means fewer people qualify for this visa.  If you are one of these few people, you may not have to wait long to obtain a green card (permanent residency).

A foreign national must have the following qualifications in order to qualify:

  • Must have an advanced academic degree/s or a baccalaureate degree with at least 5 years of progressive work experience in the field of study.
  • Must enter the United States and work permanently in their specific area of expertise.
  • Must have a job offer (with a minimum requirement of an advanced degree or the equivalent) supported by labor certification (an exception may apply).

In terms of documentation, there are two central documents that you need to present:

  • An official academic record demonstrating that you possess a U.S. advanced degree or a foreign equivalent degree.
  • An official academic record indicating that you hold a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree, as well as written letters from current or past employers demonstrating that you have at least 5 years of progressive work experience in your field of study.

You can visit the USCIS website for Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers, to learn about the other necessary documents you’ll need to submit.

What constitutes an advanced degree?

An “advanced degree” is defined by the USCIS as any degree or foreign equivalent degree that is higher than a baccalaureate degree. 

But, if you don’t have this, there is an alternative you can take. USCIS also considers those who have a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree and at least 5 years of progressive experience in the specialization, to equal a master’s degree.

Is a labor certification needed?

You must at least have the minimum requirement before applying for labor certification or EB-2.

In the case of an EB-2A immigrant visa, when a U.S. employer wishes to offer a job to a foreign national, they must secure a labor certification. A labor certification is somewhat a confirmation that the U.S. employer has complied with the requirement of the recruiting process and has correctly determined that a member of the American labor market cannot or is unwilling to fill in the position, necessitating the need to hire foreign nationals.

One burden in getting a labor certification is to prove that the minimum requirements for the job position satisfy the specified eligibility. These could include holding an advanced degree and at least five (5) years of progressive work experience.

If the minimum requirements for the job position listed by your employer contradict the EB-2 qualifications, you may not be eligible to apply. For example, your employer listed that the minimum requirement is a bachelor’s degree with only 1-2 years of experience.  

However, there is one exception: the national interest waiver.

A national interest waiver would basically waive the need for a job offer or labor certification. In order for you to get this waiver, you must demonstrate that your work in the United States would bring a beneficial impact to certain areas of U.S. society like the economy, education, environment, and so on. 

The USCIS grants the national interest waiver at its discretion and on a case-by-case basis. To be eligible, you must meet three criteria:

  • Your work’s influence on the United States must demonstrate both substantial merit and national importance.
  • You must have the necessary qualifications to achieve the intended impact or benefits of the proposed endeavor.
  • You must show why foregoing the requirement of a job offer, and labor certification will benefit the United States.

Obviously, the burden rests upon you to demonstrate that you meet all criteria. An essential piece of advice is to seek the assistance of an EB-2 visa attorney. They would assist you by determining whether you are qualified and, if so, putting together a strong case for you.

Remember that if you qualify for a national interest waiver (NIW), you will not require a U.S. employer to petition on your behalf.

Are you at risk of being deported?

Take our free online deportation risk assessment and find out now!


Get in Touch with our EB-2 Visa Attorney Now!

Getting an EB-2A visa may be tedious and confusing. You can call us today at At Andres Mejer Law to have our excellent immigration attorneys expertly assist you. They can cater to any immigration matter you may have, from applying for a nonimmigrant visa (e.g., O-1 visa ) or permanent visa (e.g., K-1 fancé visa) to criminal charges (e.g., assault or DUI). 

Don’t delay your chance of obtaining a green card under an EB-2A immigrant visa. Schedule a consultation with us now! 

Remember, every case is different, and we won’t take your money if we can’t help you.

new testimonial1(a)

“I had no problem reaching out to Andres Mejer. He has attended the court hearing and answered all the questions of the prosecutor…thank you, Andres!”


“I knew that I couldn’t just go to court alone to defend myself…but Andres was there to help me. He has helped me successfully apply for a U VIsa.”

new testimonial3

“Nobody can help me in the past, but Attorney Andres Mejer was able to help me fix my immigration problem. He has guided me through the immigration process and has encouraged me to fight and never give up my freedom to live in the U.S.”

Still have questions about Green Cards or becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident?

What Are You Waiting For?

People often put off seeing a doctor until it is too late. The same is true when it comes to immigration. Immigration problems often get worse with time, not better. You’re risking your family, your freedom and all that you work so hard for by not getting the care you need. You can find out right now if you may already qualify for legal status in the US. Just click below or call Andres Mejer Law to schedule a comprehensive immigration exam. It is free, so what are you waiting for?


New Jersey Immigration Attorney
New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación