Legal Status | Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver | Immigration Attorney

Do You Qualify For Legal Status?

On January 3, 2013, the final rules for this program were posted in the Federal Regerster, with an implementation date of March 4, 2013.  The goal of this program is to reduce the time U.S. Citizens are separated from their immediate relatives (spouses, children, and relatives) who are in the process of getting visas to become green card holders.  This final rule establishes a process that will shorten the time you will have to stay abroad. 
Welcome. I am Andres Mejer a New Jersey immigration attorney with offices in Long Branch and Lakewood. Today USCIS is publishing the final rules for a program they are now calling the Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver. I just finished a teleconference call with DHS Director Mayorka discussing this program and couldn’t wait to tell you about it. In this series of videos I will:1. Describe for you what the program is,2. Tell you the requirement to determine your eligibility, and3. Define some of the terms you need to know in order to fully understand it.So come on let’s get to it.

  • The Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver only forgives unlawful presence. If you need other waivers, you may not qualify for this program.
  • For something as detailed as this program, you MUST speak to a qualified immigration program before applying.
  • You don’t want to be outside of the US when you first learn that you won’t be able to return to your family for 10 years. At that point it is too late.
  • Learn how to find a qualified immigration attorney by downloading my FREE book on the right of the screen.

Requirements to Apply

In order to apply for the Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver, you must

  1. Be physically present in the United States;
  2. Be at least 17 years of age at the time of filing;
  3. Have an approved immigrant visa petition filed U.S. citizen immediate relative;
  4. Have an immigrant visa case pending with the U.S. Department of State (DOS) AND you have already paid the immigrant visa processing fee;
  5. You accrued Unlawful Presence in the U.S., and are not inadmissible for any other reason;
  6. Prove extreme hardship to your U.S. citizen spouse or parent, or that your application should be approved as a matter of discretion;
  7. You meet all other requirements of the provisional unlawful presence waiver as listed in the regulations, the Form I-601A and its instructions.

So what does this mean in English?

Well, at its most basic level you have a spouse, parent or child (over 21) who is a U.S. citizen or green card holder that can petition for you.  Your family member can file a petition that will get your green card.  Because you entered the U.S. without permission (illegally) you can’t get a green card in the U.S.  You need an interview at the U.S. embassy in your home country in order to get a green card when you return to the U.S.  This waiver reduces your risk because it is approved before you leave the U.S, reduces the time you are outside of the U.S., and reduces the time you are separated from your family.  In short, you know that you have an excellent chance to return before you leave the U.S.

So if you have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or green card holder, contact us today to learn how they can apply for you.

Click here to see if you qualify for U.S. Legal status


Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2023 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación