Adjustment of Status | New Jersey | Immigration Attorney | Eatontown NJ

Everything you need to know for New Jersey Adjustment of Status

Adjustmet of Status is the process to become a lawful permanent resident without having to leave the U.S.  When you to travel outside of the U.S. to get your residency that process is called Consular Processing.  Both require that you are the beneficiary of an approved petition, are a good moral person, and are admissible into the U.S.In order to adjust your status, one or more of the categories below must apply to you:

  • Family member.  You either have an approved  family based immigrant visa petition or are fining it at the same time as your adjustment of status petition;
  • Employment.  You either have an approved employment based immigrant visa petition or are filing it at the same as your adjustment of status petition;
  • Fiance(e). Your fiance applied for you to enter with a visa and you  married him or within 90 days of entering the U.S.  If you were admitted as a dependent of your parents fiance visa, you may apply to adjust status based on your parent’s status. If you married the U.S. citizen but not within the 90-day of entering the U.S., you can still adjust but your spouse now also has to file an immediate relative petition for you first.  If you did not marry the U.S. citizen faince who filed on your behalf, or if you married another U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to adjust status in the United States. Your spouse can still petition for you but you must adjust through Consular Processing;
  • Asylee/Refugee.  You have been in the U.S. or at least a year after being granted  asylum or refugee status and still qualify as an asylee or refugee or as the spouse or child of one;
  • Diversity Visa (Lottery).  You received notice from the Department of State that you have won a visa in the Green Card Lottery;
  • Registry.  You have lived continuously in the United States since before January 1, 1972; or
  • Cuban citizenship/nationality.


In the following situations, you can still adjust your status but it must be the only negative factor in your application.  Moreover, because every case is different you should check with an immigration attorney before you apply:

  • You worked in the U.S. without permission,  If the only “negative” factor in your application is that you worked without permission, you will still be able to adjust to a lawful permanent resident;
  • You remained in the U.S. past the expiration date of your visa (e.g., past the expiration date on your I-94) and filed for adjustment of status while in an unlawful status because of that;
  • failed to maintain lawful status; or
  • have been admitted as a visitor without a visa under the Guam visa waiver program or the 90-day admission under the Visa Waiver Program.

If you entered the U.S. without permission, you generally will not be able to adjust your status.  You may be able to Consular Process.  However, when you leave the U.S., you may trigger the 3 or 10 year bar. However, if you qualify for the LIFE Act, you may be able to adjust after paying a $1,000 fine.

Andres Mejer Law helps individuals and families who need help with U.S. citizenship, legal residency, deportation, and other immigration issues in the Long Branch and Lakewood areas and across New Jersey.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2023 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación