Can An Illegal Immigrant Travel Within The US? | Immigration Lawyer NJ

Can An Illegal Immigrant Travel Within The U.S.?

What Every Undocumented Immigrant Should Know Before Traveling in the U.S.

Many undocumented immigrants travel freely throughout the U.S. without encountering immigration officials.  Let’s be clear.  Undocumented immigrants can be detained at any time and for almost any reason.  The more that an undocumented immigrant is in places where there are heightened security risks, like airports, the higher risk of detention. Generally, you are unlikely to have a problem if you travel by car, bus, or train unless you visit an area near a land border.  For example, the Southern parts of California, Texas, Arizona, or in the North in places like Niagra Falls, NY near the Canadian border.  Border areas get increased scrutiny and you are more likely to encounter an immigration official.  However, if you have a valid U.S. issued identification card, like a driver’s license you are likely not to have a problem.

What do you mean with a U.S. driver’s license I am less likely to have a problem?

Let’s stay you are taking a bus from New York to New Jersey.  Immigration officials come onto the bus.  It is rare, but it happens.  They come to you and ask you for your identification.  If you provide them a foreign passport they will almost certainly inquire further.  How did you come to the U.S.?  Are you here legally? Those are just two of the obvious questions the officials will ask.  Whereas, if you show them a U.S. issued driver’s license they are less likely to ask you anything else.

What about Air Travel inside the U.S.?

can an illegal immigrant travel within the usMany of my clients have flown within the U.S. without incident.  The risk is higher.  To board an airplane, all travelers must present a government-issued ID.  A foreign passport meets that requirement.  Of course, if immigration officials review your documents you could be detained.  However, if you are in removal proceedings you can travel.  You will need to produce your (1) Notice to Appear (Form I-862) issued by the Executive Office of Immigration Review; and (2) your ID (even foreign passport).  If you are issued a Notice to Appear it means that you have already been interview by immigration officials and they have started proceedings to deport you from the U.S.  They generally have no reason to detain you, again.

What if I am stopped by an Immigration Official?

In case you are stopped by immigration officials, you are not obligated to answer their questions beyond providing your identification.  If immigration doesn’t know you are undocumented and they don’t have an order for your arrest, you will be likely released.  If you tell them you are undocumented you likely will be detained.  You have the right to remain silent.  Use it.

How can I find out if I Qualify for Legal Status?

If you are undocumented you need to be prepared for this.  It can happen at any time on any day.  You can be a passenger in a car or in your home or at work.  I have represented clients who have faced immigration officials under all three circumstances.  You must be prepared.  If you qualify for legal status, don’t wait to get started today.  One out of every three undocumented persons now qualifies for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or another immigration program.  If you don’t know if you qualify, call 888-695-6169 or click the “Do You Qualify” button on this page, and answer the questions to find out instantly.

If you don’t qualify for legal status, you need to have all your family identity documents, proof of residence in the U.S., and proof of good moral character stored in a safe place.  Ideally, your immigration attorney should have a copy and your family members know how to access it.  When you are detained, you want to make it as easy as possible for your family to help you get out. We can help you prepare.

If you have any immigration questions or concerns about traveling inside the United States or abroad, you can:

  1. Call 888-695-6169 to speak to our knowledgeable staff;
  2. Fill out the contact us form on this page;
  3. Select the live chat feature to speak to someone right away.

We help immigrants, one petition at a time.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación