The primary benefit is that you can stay in the U.S. You will get work authorization. You can receive government benefits for up to seven years, just like asylees. Unlike asylum, however, you cannot:

  • adjust status to legal permanent residency (i.e. get a Green Card);
  • petition for family members to obtain legal immigration status in the U.S.; and
  • travel outside the U.S. without first securing the government’s permission.