Naturalization Lawyer | How To Become a US Citizen | Eatontown, NJ

We Are Here 24/7! Call Now!


Do you want to become a U.S. Citizen?

Naturalization Lawyer in Eatontown, NJ

Are you looking to obtain naturalization? Our New Jersey citizenship attorneys have the experience and capabilities to make the naturalization process easy for you. We have helped thousands of immigrants just like you, and we can help you, too.

We Are Immigration Lawyers Who Will Fight for Your Best Interests

U.S. Immigration laws are highly complex. They could change almost daily, and the federal government and other agencies enact regulations. Just a simple mistake can lead you to say goodbye to your dreams of becoming a U.S. Citizen. Our experienced New Jersey and New York naturalization lawyer can help you stay ahead of these changes, giving you better results.

Being an immigrant himself, New Jersey immigration and citizenship attorney Andres Mejer is dedicated to helping immigrants like you. He thrives in helping individuals, families, and businesses understand the complex immigration processes, including citizenship, getting a green card, and deportation.

Become a Citizen today!

Citizenship is the common thread that unites all Americas. And naturalization is one of the best benefits granted by USCIS to an immigrant in the United States. Becoming a citizen entitles you to many benefits, aside from reuniting you with your family for good. When you hire our immigration law firm, our reliable legal team will review your immigration history and assist you through the whole application process. We will help you process your naturalization application as quickly as possible, in the same way, we have helped thousands of other immigrations like you.

Do you need to apply for citizenship, or you’re planning to sponsor a loved one? Our New Jersey immigration attorney can help. Reach out to us and schedule your case evaluation.

How to Apply for Citizenship in New Jersey

There are two ways to become a U.S. citizen. One is by operation of law, where you don’t have to do anything to be granted citizenship. For example, people born in the U.S. are automatically granted U.S. citizenship. The other way is through naturalization. This process involves applying and proving your eligibility to become a U.S. citizen.

What Are the Benefits of Becoming a U.S. Citizen?

There are many benefits if you become a U.S. citizen (USC):

  • Citizens can vote in local, state, and federal government elections
  • Citizens can travel outside of the U.S. with no restrictions
  • Crimes (other than fraud related to the naturalization process) cannot result in your removal proceedings
  • Citizens have expanded and streamlined opportunities to petition for immigration benefits for their relatives
  • Depending on where you live, you can be entitled to more healthcare and benefits

Naturalization is the Process to Become a US Citizen

What Are the Requirements to Apply for Citizenship?

There are five basic requirements for you to become a US citizen:

You must be a Green Card holder.

In other words, you must have a lawful permanent resident status in the United States. You must have Legal Permanent Resident Status (LPR), and it must not have changed during your application for change of status. Otherwise, USCIS could revoke your citizenship through a process called denaturalization.

If you have been a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) for five years, you may apply to become a U.S. citizen (naturalize). If you got your permanent resident card through marriage, you could apply to become a U.S. citizen after three years so long as you are still married to the spouse who petitioned for you.

You must be at least 18 years of age.

You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of your application.

English Literacy

You will also be tested on your ability to read, write, and speak basic English. This may seem intimidating, but the test will involve an immigration officer asking you simple questions about yourself and the application, which you will, in turn, answer in English. You will also be required to answer a written that you need to answer in English.

As a citizenship applicant, you will also be required to pass an oral test in American history and government.


To qualify for American citizenship, you must be a resident of the United States for at least five years. We call this continuous residency, and leaving the U.S. for too long in a single trip can interrupt your continuous residence.

Ideally, it would be best if you kept your trips abroad short, not lasting more than six months. Otherwise, immigration officers will presume that you abandoned residency if you stayed outside the United States for more than six months. In this case, you must prove that you maintained continuous residence in the U.S.

Staying outside the United States for more than one year will ultimately break your continuous residence. However, there are certain people exempted from this requirement. These includes:

Good Moral Character

You must also show that you have maintained a good moral character during the whole statutory period, which is five years or three years if you’re married to a U.S. citizen.

It is not specified what quantifies as good moral character. Still, as a general rule, people who have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or felony are found as lacking good moral character. However, there are some instances where people who haven’t been jailed or convicted will be seen as lacking good moral character. Drunkards, sexually immoral individuals, gamblers, those who refuse to support their dependents, and those on probation are only some examples of people who can be deemed as lacking good moral character.

Our New Jersey citizenship attorneys can evaluate your case to ensure that you are qualified before submitting any application in USCIS. This way, we can avoid any errors that can affect your naturalization application or even result in a denial or deportation. Seek legal advice from our reliable naturalization attorneys to find out how you can become a US citizen today.

What If I Have a Criminal Violation?

We know that some things are inevitable, and one of those is brushing up with the law. If you’ve been charged with a crime or have been arrested, you must disclose all your criminal records to USCIS. This includes minor violations, even those criminal records that have been expunged or sealed by the court.

If you’re an immigrant and you’re worried that a criminal record might affect your citizenship application, talk to our reliable and experienced immigration and criminal defense lawyer in New Jersey today. At Andres Mejer Law, we are experienced in dealing with various criminal cases, and we can help come up with the best solution possible for your case.

How Do I Apply for Citizenship?

If you’ve met the following requirements mentioned above, you proceed to the application process. Our skilled New Jersey naturalization lawyer can help with your naturalization process:

  • Prepare and submit a naturalization application(Form N-400).
  • Submit your Form N 400 – Application for Naturalization to Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Pay the required processing fees.
  • Go to the biometrics appointment at USCIS.
  • Attend the interview with an immigration officer who will review your case for citizenship.
  • You will also take a U.S. language and civics test and be asked to swear allegiance to the U.S.
  • Wait for the decision from USCIS about your application.
  • If you passed, receive an invitation to take the Oath of Allegiance.
  • Attend a ceremony during which you will again swear allegiance to the U.S. and be formally naturalized.

USCIS takes the language and civics test seriously, and applicants must be prepared to pass these important steps in the process. Through careful planning and strategy, applicants can excel in this crucial part of the interview process. The careful planning must include a comprehensive background check and travel review in and out of the United States.

Do You Need an Immigration Attorney to Become a Citizen?

In light of this process, you really need to develop and follow a comprehensive strategy for successfully moving through the naturalization process. We can help!

Our experienced New Jersey naturalization attorney can help you achieve your dream of becoming a U.S. citizen. Don’t miss out on the benefits of being a citizen in the United States.

Contact a New Jersey Naturalization Lawyer Now!

Contact our immigration law firm in New Jersey and determine if you’re qualified today.

new testimonial1(a)

“I had no problem reaching out to Andres Mejer. He has attended the court hearing and answered all the questions of the prosecutor…thank you, Andres!”


“I knew that I couldn’t just go to court alone to defend myself…but Andres was there to help me. He has helped me successfully apply for a U VIsa.”

new testimonial3

“Nobody can help me in the past, but Attorney Andres Mejer was able to help me fix my immigration problem. He has guided me through the immigration process and has encouraged me to fight and never give up my freedom to live in the U.S.”

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2023 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación