Lately, I noticed more and more cars pulled over by a police officer both on the Garden State Parkway and local roads. I always say, Thank goodness that wasn’t me. What would you do if that was you? Would you accept the ticket, pay the fines, and go on your merry way? Or would you want an alternative?

Although most New Jersey traffic and driving charges aren’t criminal charges, they have consequences depending on the number of violations you have already incurred. If this violation stacks up against a few others, you may face jail time, lose your license, and have to pay thousands of dollars in fines and surcharges. If you plead guilty and pay the ticket, you suffer all consequences to the conviction. Click here for more detailed information.

There are other choices:

  • You can challenge the ticket before pleading guilty,
  • You can hire an experienced traffic attorney to represent you,
  • And you have an opportunity to get the charges dismissed or reduced.

You can also fight the ticket yourself, but you must be prepared by researching the violation and learning how the courts have previously interpreted the statutory provision. There are steps to take when doing this [refer to book] and it’s not that easy. You should realize that it’s the State’s burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your actions fall within the boundaries of each violation. You must review all the evidence from the State, evaluate any weak points, and file all the appropriate motions in order to position yourself really well for the defense. The first questions is: Do you really have time for this? The second question is: Are you sure you are qualified to represent yourself?

What if you plead guilty to the charges? If you plead guilty, you are subject to substantial fines and penalties, points on your license, insurance surcharges, suspension of driving privileges, community service, and jail time. This is a very serious matter. Most courts will provide an installment plan to pay your fines, but they may also require a down payment right after sentencing. Conviction of any Municipal Court offense may also have a negative impact on your employment prospects or on your immigration status.

What if you hire an experienced traffic attorney? There are several steps your attorney will take in helping you fight your traffic violation.

  1. He will meet with you and any witnesses.
  2. He will gather and analyze all available facts and information, including police reports, witness statements, government records and documents, and a review of the scene of the alleged violation.
  3. He will prepare a legal statement by studying the law and previous court decisions that may apply to the law, then present this to the judge.
  4. He will offer options to you and recommend the best one.
  5. He will prepare any legal documents to be used in court.
  6. He will negotiate a plea agreement on your behalf.
  7. He will present your side of the case, present any witnesses, cross-examine the State’s witnesses, including the police, expert witnesses, and fact witnesses.
  8. He will obtain a civil reservation, which prevents a guilty plea from being used against you in a subsequent civil proceeding.
  9. He will appeal the court’s decision if there is a conviction.

Does that look like a lot of work? It is for you, but it’s standard procedure for a qualified, experienced traffic attorney. You must ask questions BEFORE you hire an attorney. Be sure that he or she is competent before you appear in court! For more information on our services and how we can help you, log onto [web address] and find out your best options.

The choice is yours: pay the ticket and fines, defend yourself, or hire an experienced traffic attorney to represent you.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Need help?

Got questions?

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2021 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación