What Documents Should Green Card Holders Always Have With Them?

What Documents Should Green Card Holders and US Citizens Always Have With Them?

In the news this week there have been stories of US Citizens being detained by ICE. Immigration attorney, Andres Mejer, explains in this video which documents you, as a US Citizen or green card holder, should have with you AT ALL TIMES to protect yourself.

Transcript (Transcripción):

Andres Mejer: What documents should you have with you. If you are a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder driver’s license or identity card copy of your Green Card, copy of your passport, you can have the original on you but make sure you have copies of these documents somewhere. Your social, your credit cards, your driver’s license, your passport, you should have copies of these documents. I don’t care if it’s on your phone. You know you just you take the photo and then you email them to you. You keep it in your e-mail or you save it in a safe place. It doesn’t matter as long as you have it and it’s accessible to you. I’ll give you an example. Yesterday  I was contacted by a friend of mine. His son was in Australia. Your son’s a U.S. citizen. He married and an Australian woman. They have three kids. They traveled to Australia for a wedding. His wife was a Green Card Holder never applied for citizenship. Yesterday they go to board the plane. She presents her passport and there is no Green Card. She doesn’t know what happened to it. She did have it. She doesn’t know where it went. Couldn’t find it. She was not allowed to board the plane. She didn’t have her alien ID number. She didn’t know her social. She had nothing and didn’t have copies of it either. So now her stay in Australia is going to be longer. She’s going to have to go file a document. You just have to get a travel documents. I have to go to an embassy or consulate in Australia. There are four. She’s gone. She’s actually going to go to Melbourne. But she you know she might be forced to travel to Sydney or somewhere else because she did not have documentation that she needed. Now has she had a copy of the Green Card. Chances are they would have allowed her to board. She would have reached out to DHS or customs border patrol. They could have at least with that information they could look her up and determine. Yes, you are a Green Cardholder. Don’t let it happen to you. Now what happens if you’re not in the US legally. Meaning you’re undocumented you overstayed Are you illegal. Don’t carry your passport with you. I don’t care whether you’re from Chile, Argentina, Mexico, Nicaragua. So it doesn’t matter where if you’re now undocumented in the United States and you present your passport ICE will then know without a shred of doubt that you’re illegally in the United States you’ve either overstayed your visa or you never had a visa, to begin with. So don’t take your passport with you. Ideally, take your driver’s license for whether from your country or from the U.S. I don’t care if it’s expired, something with your photo and your information, obviously be better not to be expired. There are problems with it and I would not have given this advice three years ago. But today and the Trump administration if they know you’re an immigrant, if they know you’re undocumented, you will be detained. Hundred percent of the time that was not the case under Obama. Now you should have your red card. It’s in Spanish and it’s in English. It gives you all the rights in case you get pulled over. Has our number you call you you call us and you just tell the officer I will not answer any questions without my attorney present. That should stop the investigation. It should prevent people from getting volunteering information that results in your detention. 

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Need help?

Got questions?

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2021 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación