Find out if you are truly at risk!
Find out instantly with our free deportation risk assessment
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be a Legal Permanent Resident for 5 years (or 3 if you are married to a U.S. Citizen (USC)).
- Have been in the U.S. for 30 months in the 5 years (60 months) before you apply ( or if you are married to a USC then 18 months in the last 3 years (36 months)).
- Not have taken a trip for 12 months or longer during the last 5 years (or three years if married to a USC).
- Have lived in the State or district for the 3 months before you applied.
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
- Know the fundamentals of U.S. history and the form and principles of U.S. government (Civics).
- Be a person of Good Moral Character.
- Not be in default for any prior years of back taxes.
- Have signed up for selective service if you are a man between 18 and 26 years old (for possible service in the U.S. armed forces).
- Be willing to support the U.S. constitution, to perform civilian or military service if required, and be willing to take the oath of allegiance to the U.S.