Planning and Preparing for the Green Card Process

Due to the lengthy USCIS processing times and numerous paperwork involved, trying to get a green card is not the easiest thing to do. As such, it is highly recommended to consult with a competent New Jersey immigration attorney who can help you every step of the way.

What this article will cover are:

– The basics of US green cards

– The basics of obtaining a green card

– The process and processing times

– Timelines and what foreigners must remember

– The need for a good local attorney

The basics of a US green card

A permanent residence card is, from the name itself, a legal document indicating that its bearer has lawful permanent residence. To put it simply, a foreign national who is a green card holder is a permanent resident of the United States. This is especially useful when such immigration status must be proven. Examples of these are circumstances when you are applying for or accepting a specific job offer when you are purchasing a house, or in other similar instances where the other party will ask you to prove your permanent resident status.

A green card is issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS Office), has an expiration of ten years, and maybe renewed by lawful permanent residents when the need arises.

The basics of acquiring a green card

Green Card Process Unknown to some people, there are many ways to apply for a green card. A fiance (who has different nationality) of a US citizen or lawful permanent resident could be able to obtain a green card through marriage. A foreign national who invests in a commercial enterprise, meanwhile, could be granted an investor visa. Alternatively, through the national interest waiver, becoming a permanent resident is also possible for an advanced degree professional. However, the actual immigration process is more complex than it seems. This is why it is recommended to consult with reliable New Jersey immigration attorneys early on. 

The process and the processing time

Most of the time, an alien applicant would be informed if his or her immigration petition is approved or not right after the green card interview at the USCIS office. There are, however, certain exemptions to this. If a supervisor must first approve the petition form, the processing time for a permanent resident card would be longer. This could be extended by up to two weeks. If a Request for Additional Evidence is sent, the waiting period could be further extended, this time by up to three months.

It is important to keep in mind that even if your application for permanent residency was immediately approved, you are still not at the end of the legal process. The actual card will be issued not on the spot, but instead sent by mail after a certain period of time.

Timelines and what foreigners must remember

The USCIS does not have an exact timeline on when a green card will be mailed. On their website, it is mentioned that those who entered the country with an immigrant visa should receive the card for 120 days. This is either after arrival at their port of entry or after payment of processing fees, whichever is later. Keep in mind, however, that immigration law does not mention a specific time limit. They will send them as soon as the paperwork is processed, and actual timelines will vary for each green card application.

The Notice of Decision will be mailed to the applicant usually after a few months. The actual card will then be sent afterward. This is why it is important to inform the USCIS if you intend to move so that the card will not be sent to the wrong address. However, if your green card has not arrived several months after your immigration interview, you may need to inquire at the USCIS Office. Competent immigration lawyers can help make sure that your card will not be further delayed.

The need for an experienced New Jersey immigration lawyer

When you apply for a green card, immigration lawyers will help you with knowledge about processing relevant immigrant visas, proceeding with the green card application, and preparing the requirements necessary for getting a green card. He or she can also assist when acquiring conditional resident status (adjustment of status or consular processing) and having the conditions on your permanent residence eventually removed.

Immigrating and applying for a green card could be a lot less stressful. Get a trusted immigration lawyer who can help you fill out USCIS forms and submit immigration paperwork and supporting documents.

Before you apply for a green card, give us a call. Consult with a reliable New Jersey immigration attorney from Andres Mejer Law to make sure you are doing things correctly.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Need help?

Got questions?

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2021 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación