New York Traffic Tickets in New Jersey | NJ Traffic Attorney

New Jersey Drivers With New York Traffic Tickets

New Jersey Drivers With New York Traffic Tickets

It happens to us more often than we would like to admit.

There we are, cruising from New Jersey into New York for our morning commute or a weekend getaway. Suddenly, we see the flashing lights, are pulled over, and receive a traffic ticket.

Getting a New York traffic ticket while being licensed to drive in New Jersey presents a few challenges that all drivers should be aware of.

It is crucial to understand whether you can receive points on your NY license for traffic offenses you commit in NJ (and vice versa) as well as the general differences between traffic violations in NY and NJ.

Note that certain offenses carry points in NY and not NJ. Experienced attorneys who practice law in both states may be able to get your ticket reduced to a violation that carries points in NY but 0 points in NJ.

Driver’s License Compact

Both New York and New Jersey have signed the Driver’s License Compact. This means NY and NJ freely share driver information with one another.

If you receive a NY traffic ticket but are a NJ driver, contrary to popular belief, NJ will be notified about the ticket you received. Likewise, this also applies if you are licensed in NY and got a ticket in NJ.

New Jersey Drivers

If the traffic ticket you received in New York carries both a fine and points, it will be up to NJ to determine whether to assess points on your license or not.

According to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, under most circumstances, “out-of-state moving violations are worth two points.” (See N.J.S.A. 39:5D-4)

For example, if you were caught speeding 33 miles over the posted speed limit in New York, New Jersey will put 2 points on your driver’s license (even though this offense is worth 8 points in NY).

However, it is important to note that your insurance company will rarely treat the incident in this manner.

Make no mistake, your insurance company can, if they choose to, find out what offense you committed in NY and could increase your rates based on the amount of points NY would have assessed (i.e. 8 points in our example).

New York Drivers

New York handles things differently. If you have a New York driver’s license and receive a New Jersey traffic ticket, New York will not typically add points onto your driver’s license.

According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, “The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario.”

Therefore, if you are caught speeding 33 miles over the posted speed limit in New Jersey, you will not have a single point added onto your New York driver’s license.

However, as we explained earlier, your insurance carrier will have the ability to raise your insurance rates due to the violation you committed (and it will likely know that this offense would have been worth 5 points if you were licensed in NJ).


As far as fines are concerned, no state can require you to pay a double fine. As such, you will only be required to pay the state in which you received the ticket.

If you got a NY traffic ticket, you will pay the State of New York. If you got a NJ traffic ticket, you will pay the State of New Jersey.

Differences and Similarities

If you are New Jersey driver and you are caught speeding, the following point schedule will be used:

  • Speeding 1-14 MPH Over the Limit: 2 Points
  • Speeding 15-29 MPH Over the Limit:4 Points
  • Speeding 30 MPH or More Over the Limit: 5 Points

However, New York’s speeding point schedule is broken down quite differently:

  • Speeding 1-10 MPH Over Speed Limit: 3 Points
  • Speeding 11-20 MPH Over Speed Limit: 4 Points
  • Speeding 21-30 MPH Over Speed Limit: 6 Points
  • Speeding 31-40 MPH Over Speed Limit: 8 Points
  • Speeding 41 or More MPH Over Speed Limit: 11 Points

Lastly, reckless driving is worth 5 points both in NY and NJ.

Author Bio

Adam H. Rosenblum of The Rosenblum Law Firm is traffic ticket lawyer licensed to practice in both New York and New Jersey.

If you need assistance with a New Jersey traffic ticket or DUI/DWI you can request one of our free books offered on the right.  If you need an attorney right away, call 888-695-6169 and ask to speak to our knowledgeable staff.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Andres Mejer Law - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación