Nepalese immigrants get Temporary Protected StatusOn April 25, 2015, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake devastated Nepal and surrounding countries.  Many were left homeless or injured, and some came to the United States seeking asylum and refuge.  Some of them came illegally, and some legally, but a new Department of Homeland Security announcement has the power to change that.On June 24,2015, almost exactly two months later, the DHS announced that it would be extending Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, to Nepalese immigrants.  Under TPS the immigrants get

  • work permits,
  • avoid deportation,
  • can apply for social security card, and
  • can apply for a driver’s license.

This program does not allow new Nepalese immigrants to come to the United States however; it simply allows the ones who were already here to apply for temporary legal status.

Temporary Protected Status is a program that grants legal status to citizens of particular countries based on country conditions.  TPS is generally granted when the country’s conditions would prevent citizens to return safely or if the country couldn’t handle the sudden flow of returning immigrants.  Examples are:

  • An environmental disaster such as a tsunami or earthquake
  • A armed conflict such as a civil war
  • Any other temporary condition that could threaten the lives of returning immigrants.

There are currently 12 countries that have currently have TPS, and for some of them the registration period is still open.

  1. El Salvador,
  2. Guinea,
  3. Haiti,
  4. Honduras,
  5. Liberia,
  6. Nepal,
  7. Nicaragua,
  8. Sierra Leone,
  9. Somalia,
  10. Sudan,
  11. South Sudan, and
  12. Syria.

If you are currently living in the United States and have immigrated from one of these countries, it would certainly be worth going to the USCIS website and seeing if you can still apply for TPS.

Having TPS does not prevent you from obtaining citizenship or legal status in the United States, but it does not inherently grant it.  This status simply allows you to work, live, and be protected in the United States for a predetermined amount of time. However, if you have a close family relative who is a U.S. citizen or green card, they can petition for your green card.  In as little as six months in New Jersey you could be a green card holder.

Free Resources Available for You

If you face an immigration challenge we have some valuable resources for you:

  1. Do You Qualify for Legal Status?  If you aren’t legal in the U.S. you owe it to yourself to find out if you can get legal status.  Select the link, answer the questions, and find out for FREE.
  2. Do You Need an Immigration Attorney? You Might Not – I will explain when you need an immigration attorney.  Not every needs one.  I will also explain the benefits of hiring one in any immigration challenge.
  3. 7 Critical Questions to ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney – If you have decided that you need an immigration attorney, how do you make sure you hire a good one?  I explain to you the questions you need to ask before you hire your immigration attorney.
  4. An Immigrant’s Guide to Municipal Court – Here I discuss what happens if you get arrested by Immigration Customs Enforcement, what you need to know to get out of custody, and what to expect if you are placed in removal hearings.  I also explain the municipal court process and how a municipal court matter can result in your being placed into removal proceedings.

If you have immigration questions, we have answers.  You can,

  1. Call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169;
  2. Fill out our contact us form on this page; or
  3. Select our live chat feature to speak to someone right away.

We help immigrants, one petition at a time.