How Marijuana Use Can Impact Your Immigration Goals | Eatontown NJ

How Marijuana Use Can Impact Your Immigration Goals

Immigration and Marijuana Use

We had a really interesting question from one of our viewers on our Youtube channel and I think it is important information for everyone to know. We’ve done a video about this topic before.

The question we had was: “What should you do if you’d eaten a marijuana (pot) edible and are getting a physical for immigration?” Whenever you have ingested or partaken of any mind-altering substance, illegal or not, you may run into problems with your immigration application.

Remember, when you are applying to come to the US, you must be admissible. That means that you must pass a physical (which could include a drug test), and your mental and emotional health will also be reviewed.  

The process of applying for a visa can be confusing and overwhelming. If you need help with your application, connect with a New Jersey immigration attorney today.

Having an Addiction Can Make You Inadmissible

If you have an addiction, even if it is to alcohol which is a legal substance, you could be found to be inadmissible to the US.  If you are found to have taken an illegal drug, such as marijuana, which is illegal under Federal Law in the US, you may be inadmissible to the US.  

Let’s talk about this a little more.  

When you apply for a visa, you must get a physical examination by a doctor appointed by the local embassy. The doctor asks questions during that physical about drug use, alcohol use, and other items that may make you inadmissible. The doctor also does a blood test.  We know of instances where a person has told the doctor during their exam that they smoked pot or their blood tested positive for marijuana. 

Comply With the Federal Law To Get Your Visa Approved

In one of my Youtube videos, I explained how marijuana is legal in some US states. And even though that is true, and it may be legal where you live, immigration law in the US is based on Federal law, and under Federal law marijuana is illegal

If you want to be approved for a legal status or a visa, you must comply with federal law. If you fail your drug test or admit to drug use, you’re probably going to be kept out of the US at least for a while.  

You might think that one way to avoid the problem is to not tell the doctor or lie to them about your drug use. I always recommend that you are completely honest with every person you encounter in your immigration journey. If you lie, and your drug test comes back positive, you may face an even higher hurdle including permanent denial of entry to the US. The doctor will write in their report about the admitted drug use and will submit the test results.

 The consular official then needs to determine how to proceed. The officer may allow the applicant to go to the US. We don’t think that is likely, but it is always possible. 

What is more likely is that the applicant will need to go to classes regarding drug use and take drug tests (probably about 4), that they need to pay for, to prove they are not a drug addict and do not have a drug problem. 

Again, please do not lie to the doctor or try to cheat the system. This will only hurt your immigration chances in the long run. Be honest, answer the questions honestly, and deal with the consequences of your choices. While it may slow down your approval, it’s also going to ensure that you don’t have to worry about future issues when you do come to the US.

Saying No to Drugs is the Simplest Solution

Ultimately, if you want to make sure that you don’t have this type of problem, the simple solution is not to do drugs. Even marijuana, which many think is harmless, can impact your ability to get to the US.  

If you recall earlier I shared the US State Department is saying to add a year to the already slow processing times for applications. So imagine how upsetting it would be to have another year added to your application just because you ate a marijuana gummy.

Make good choices to do everything you can to ensure the fast processing of your application. As we teach our kids in school in the US, “Say NO to drugs.” 

Contact Our New Jersey Immigration Attorney Today!

If you or your loved one needs help with the immigration process, or if your experiencing trouble with your immigration application, feel free to connect with a New Jersey immigration attorney. Our attorneys at Andres Mejer Law can help you with all your legal needs, immigration paperwork, and processing. Call us to schedule an appointment.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación