DACA Program – The Consequences of Not Taking Action

DACA ProgramAs of September 5, 2017, the popular DACA program is winding down. While there is speculation that Congress will pass new laws protecting young immigrants, nothing is guaranteed. At Andres Mejer Law, we want young immigrants to be prepared. This article explains what will happen once your DACA permit expires.

What Is Happening to the DACA Program?

In 2012, President Obama created the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program after Congress failed to pass the DREAM Act. The DACA program does not offer a path to citizenship or legal permanent residency. Instead, it:

  • Defers immigration enforcement actions against certain young immigrants,
  • Allows them to legally work in the United States, and
  • Issues them a Social Security number.

DACA recipients cannot receive federal benefits, such as Pell Grants, Social Security payments, or coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

The DACA program is now coming to an end. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) stopped accepting new DACA applications on September 5, 2017. If USCIS had your DACA application on September 5, 2017, it will still process it and make a case-by-case determination of your DACA eligibility. USCIS will also stop accepting DACA renewals on  October 5, 2017. After that date, the federal government will honor your DACA permit until it expires.

What Should DREAMers Do Now?

Renew Your DACA Permit

First, all DACA recipients should check their current Employment Authorization Card’s expiration date (located near the bottom right corner of your card). The USCIS will stop accepting DACA renewals on October 5, 2017. If your DACA permit expires by March 5, 2018, you should renew it immediately. This will hopefully extend your legal status until Congress agrees on a DACA or DREAM Act.

Renew Your Driver’s License

In New Jersey, you can renew your driver’s license up to six months before it expires. Before you become undocumented, you should renew your driver’s license (if possible). This will allow you to drive legally in the United States for an extended period of time.

Prepare for the End of the DACA Program

Once your DACA permit expires, you will revert back to an undocumented status. Therefore, it’s important that young immigrants create an immigration plan and speak with an experienced immigration lawyer.  Your lawyer can help you protect your family if you are arrested or deported– and you might discover that you are eligible for a visa under current immigration laws. Additionally, a lawyer can educate you about legal self-defense rights (in case you are detained after your DACA permit expires).

Advocate for a Permanent Solution for DREAMers

The DREAMers’ fate is now in Congress’ hands. Immigration advocates are encouraging the federal legislature to pass a DACA or DREAM Act. As a young immigrant, you should consider contacting your representatives in Congress. By sharing your story, you help humanize the DACA issue and demonstrate the value young immigrants bring to our country.

What Happens If I Don’t Renew My DACA Permit?

If your DACA permit expires after March 5, 2018, or you miss the October 5, 2017 renewal deadline, your DACA protections will end on the date listed on your Employment Authorization Card. This means that, once your permit expires,

  • You cannot work legally in the United States,
  • You might lose in-state tuition rates and state financial aid,
  • You cannot renew your New Jersey driver’s license, and
  • You are at risk of deportation.

Importantly, you will retain your Social Security number. You can continue to use your Social Security number for banking, housing, and other purposes.

It is unlikely that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will attempt a mass deportation of DACA recipients once their permits expire. In fact, USCIS has reported that it will not share DACA recipients information with ICE unless they commit a crime or are a threat to national security. However, once DACA ends, you are at risk of deportation if you are caught in an ICE raid or are arrested.

Can My Employer Fire Me Because of DACA?

Your DACA permit remains valid until its expiration date. While your employer cannot terminate you simply because your DACA permit will expire in the future, it has every right to terminate your employment once you revert to an undocumented status.

Can I Leave the United States on Vacation or to Visit Family?

In the past, DACA recipients could apply for “advance parole,” allowing them to leave the United State and re-enter legally. However, as of September 5, 2017, USCIS is no longer processing advance parole applications. If you were already granted advance parole, your travel document should remain valid. However, if you had a pending application for advance parole, the USCIS will close your application and return your filing fee. If you attempt to re-enter the U.S. without valid travel documents, you might be denied re-entry.

Learn More About Your Rights Under the DACA Program

If you have questions about the DACA program, contact Andres Mejer Law immediately. We can help you file a timely renewal, prepare for your future, and protect your family. As fellow immigrants, Andres Mejer and his team understand how overwhelming the immigration process can be. We’re here to help.


Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación