Your Immigration Attorney matters just ask Charles & Michele

Charles and Michelle hired a New York attorney to help them with their immigration case.  Michelle is a U.S. citizen and Charles would like to be.  Charles came to the U.S. as a crewman and stayed.  He met and married Michelle and they have two children together.


The New York attorney helped them file the Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130).  That was approved.  Charles can’t adjust his status in the U.S. because he entered as a crewman.  That means he needs to meet with a consular official in his country through what is called consular processing.  However, because he accrued unlawful presence in the U.S. (unauthorized time in the U.S.) of more than a year he had to file a waiver to forgive his unlawful presence or he wouldn’t be able to return to the U.S. for 10 years.The New York attorney “helped” them file for the Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver (Form I-601A).  He did a poor job in putting the package together.

What is the Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver (Form I-601A)?

The Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver allows an immigrant to file for the waiver inside the U.S.  This waiver is “provisionally” granted by USCIS.  It is “provisional” because the Immigration Naturalization Act gives the Department of State the last word on the matter.  So when the waiver is approved (meaning Charles is only inadmissible to the U.S. because of unlawful presence), he then presents himself for a consular official (Department of State employee) at the U.S. consulate in his home country.  If the official agrees that the only basis for Charles’ inadmissibility is his unlawful presence, and he met the standard for the waiver, Charles will be allowed to enter the U.S.  Upon entering usually within 30-60 days, Charles will be issued his green card.

To get the waiver approved, Charles must show:

  1. Extreme Hardship to a qualifying Relative, in this case it is his U.S. citizen spouse; and
  2. That discretion is warranted.

Extreme Hardship is not defined anywhere.  However, we have years of court cases that give us a fair idea of what Extreme Hardship is.  At its core, Charles has to show that the hardship to his U.S. citizen wife, Michelle, is something more than the common consequences of a separation.  That usually means documenting hardship to Michelle while considering factors like medical/psychological, financial, country conditions, education, and personal factors.  The waivers are very fact specific.

What happened with Charles’ Waiver?

I couldn’t find much of an effort done by the New York attorney.  What was submitted with the initial package had zero chance of success.  There was no medical or psychological factors presented.  The package only addressed general separation and general financial hardships, but nothing “extreme.”  A Request for Evidence was issued, asking for examples of extreme hardship? Now it is possible that Charles and Michelle were rushed to file the petition, but the attorney would provide a massive response to an expected Request for Evidence. But tha didn’t happen.  The New York attorney only provided a psychologist’s report documenting Michelle’s circumstances. It was a missed opportunity. The waiver was appropriately denied.  Because there is no appeal, Charles and Michelle need to refile Form I-601A or try an alternative approach.

What should they do now?

President Obama’s November 20, 2014 gives Charles two options:

  1. Soon to be announced is clarification of what is “Extreme Hardship.” He would need to take all the evidence previously submitted and go all out.  Include evidence of all the factors showing Extreme Hardship.  This is doable and would likely be the fastest path to getting his green card since he already has an approved form I-130.
  2. Apply for Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) on May 19, 2015.  He will likely get an approval by the end of 2015.  He then must file for Advance Parole (permission to leave the U.S. and re-enter without triggering the 3 and 10 year bar).  Once he returns to the U.S., Charles will then have a legal entry into the U.S. and he can immediately file for his adjustment of status (Form I-485) to get a green card.  This is a longer process.  There are more filings, which mean higher fees.

Since Charles has a strong Extreme Hardship case, he should re-file for the waiver.  If he doesn’t want to re-file, then he should file for DAPA.  Either way, he shouldn’t go back to the New York attorney.  He didn’t do a good job working up the Extreme Hardship.  Who you hire matters.  Make sure you have someone with a solid track record and breaks things down for you in a way you understand. Don’t just accept when someone tells you, “let me worry about that.”  It is your life. You deserve to know exactly what will be done for you, how it will be done, and in what time frame.

If you have questions about an immigration issue call us at 888-743-8046 or fill out the contact us form on this page or select the live chat feature.

We help immigrants, one petition at a time.

NY immigration attorney screws up waiver application

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2022 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación