Can a Restraining Order help me get a green card?

Final Restraining Orders (FRO) can be used to help substantiate claims in the petition/application process for U-visas and Violence Against Women’s Act (VAWA). There are many avenues for domestic violence victims to gain protection from their abusers; however, there are few avenues for immigrant domestic violence victims to gain legal residency in the United States. By coupling a FRO with an application for a U-visa or a petition for Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR) under VAWA, immigrant domestic violence victims can have protection from their abusers.

Consider Diana’s case

Diana, a Mexican national, came to the United States on a tourist visa; however, she fell in love with an US citizen and let her visa expire. Shortly after entering the relationship, Diana’s partner began physically abusing her. In one instance, Diana was at the hospital for surgery and her partner attacked her there. Hospital employees called the police, Diana’s partner fled and Diana finally took action. She secured a restraining order against her abuser.  Before this final attack, Diana was scared to go to the police because of her undocumented status. Through the FRO and family service support, Diana learned about her options for obtaining legal status in the United States.

It doesn’t have to be just physical abuse

Diana’s case is an example of extreme physical abuse, similar examples hard shoves, smacks or throwing things at you. It could be emotional or psychological: your partner is yelling at you, calling you stupid or tell you that you’re worthless. It could be sexual: your partner rapes you. It could be economic: your partner withholds access to money from you.  It is rarely just one example. 

Whatever the abuse may be, it is not your fault, you need protection and you need help. If you are an immigrant and do not want to report the abuse for fear of deportation, do not worry. There are ways for you to gain legal status in the United States by reporting the crimes against you.

How to Use the FRO

The U-visa and VAWA are avenues for immigrant victims of domestic to obtain legal status in the United States. To be granted a U-Visa or Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR) under VAWA, you must show that you have suffered abuse. In Diana’s situation the police were called to the scene at the hospital and she did the smart thing to request a restraining order that ultimately became a FRO.  The FRO then becomes proof that she was a victim of domestic violence. It is objective proof.  Of course, an affidavit of support from the nurse that witnesses the abuse and called the police doesn’t hurt either.

If I am involved in a case from its inception, I use the FRO trial to lay the foundation for a subsequent U-Visa or VAWA application for my client. I bring witnesses, photographs, and evidence that support a finding of Domestic Violence.  I then order the transcript and attach it to the U-Visa or VAWA petition in addition to the trial exhibits.  This is makes it much easier to get the Law Enforcement Certificate from the police, prosecutor, or judge.  Once we have the certification, we submit the package to immigration for approval.

If you are a victim of Domestic Violence there is help for you.  There is a national hotline and in Monmouth County 180 Turning Lives Around is ready to help.  Select the link for their contact informationIf you think a loved one has been a victim of Domestic Violence, see this article for signs.

If you face immigration an immigration challenge we have some valuable resources for you:

  1. Do You Need an Immigration Attorney? You Might Not  I will explain when you need an immigration attorney.  Not every needs one.  I will also explain the benefits of hiring one in any immigration challenge.
  2. 7 Critical Questions to ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney  If you have decided that you need an immigration attorney, how do you make sure you hire a good one?  I explain to you the questions you need to ask before you hire your immigration attorney.
  3. An Immigrant’s Guide to Municipal Court  Here I discuss what happens if you get arrested by Immigration Customs Enforcement, what you need to know to get out of custody, and what to expect if you are placed in removal hearings.  I also explain the municipal court process and how a municipal court matter can result in your being placed into removal proceedings.

If you have immigration questions, we have answers.  You can,

  1. Call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169;
  2. Fill out our contact us form on this page; or
  3. Select our live chat feature to speak to someone right away.

We help immigrants, one petition at a time.

Share This Post!

Related Posts

Call Us Today!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Need help?

Got questions?

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

We're here 24/7.
Call Now!

Eatontown, NJ


286 RT 35
Unit D
Eatontown, NJ 07724


Lakewood, NJ


212 2nd Street
Suite 104
Lakewood, NJ 08701


Newark, NJ


50 Park Place
Suite #1101
Newark, NJ 07102


Edison, NJ


1929 NJ-27
Edison, NJ 08817


1065 US-22 Suite 2B
Bridgewater Township, NJ 08807


Freehold, NJ


36 W Main St, Suite 302,
Freehold, NJ 07728


Copyright 2021 Provencher and Flatt, LLP - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Advantage Attorney Marketing & Cloud Solutions

Free Deportation Risk Assessment

Where you ever caught at by immigration and returned to your country? (¿Dónde alguna vez te pilló inmigrando y regresaste a tu país?)*

Have you ever been arrested for any reason? (¿Alguna vez te han arrestado por alguna razón?)*

How many times have been arrested? (¿Cuántas veces han sido arrestados?)*

Were you arrested for any of the following reasons? (Check all that apply) (¿Te arrestaron por alguna de las siguientes razones?)

Have you ever filed for an immigration benefit and been denied? (¿Alguna vez ha presentado un beneficio de inmigración y se le ha negado?)*

Have you entered the US illegally more than once after 1997? (¿Ha entrado ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos más de una vez después de 1997?)*

Do you owe back child support? (¿Debes manutención infantil?)*

Arrested in New Jersey

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Book

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Immigration Attorney

Request Your Free Copy

Solicite su copia gratuita

Find Out Immediately If You Qualify for Legal Status


Your privacy is important to us. We will keep the information you provide strictly confidential. We only use your information to determine if you may be eligible for immigration benefits in the United States. The information we provide should not be construed as legal advice and submission of this form does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ingrese la siguiente información para aceptar los términos y condiciones.

Enter the following information to accept the terms and conditions.

Start Here!

Información Personal / Personal Information


Idioma Preferido*

Preferred Language

Fecha Nacimiento*

Date of Birth

Pais de Nacimiento*

Country of Birth

Entradas a las EEUU / Entries into the US


Fecha Entrada*

Date of Entry

Entrada Legal*

Did you enter legally?



¿Tiene usted padres, conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos,Que ha estado o esta en las fuerzas armadas Americanas?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is or was in the US military?

¿Tiene usted padres,conyuge o hijos mayores de 21 anos, ciudadanos Americanos o residentes permanentes?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident?

¿Ha tenido usted, sus padres o sus abuelos un estado legal en los EEUU?*

Did you, your parents, or your grandparents ever have legal status in the U.S.?

¿Esta considerando matrimonio con us ciudadano Americano o residente permanente? ( mismo sexo incluido)*

Are you considering marriage to a US citizen or green card holder (same-sex marriage included)?



¿Alguien ha peticionado a su favor por motivos de inmigración?*

Has anyone ever filed an immigration petition for you before?

¿Ha sido usted deportado o esta usted en procedimiento de deportación ahora?*

Have you ever been deported or are you in deportation proceedings now?

Ha sido abusado por sus padres, conyuge o hijo mayor de edad?*

Has your parent, spouse, or adult child been abusive to you?

¿Si es asi, fue previo a Abril 30 del 2001?*

If so, was it before April 30, 2001?



¿Fue usted, conyuge, sus padres, pareja o sus hijos victimas de de un crimen violento en los EEUU?*

Were you, your parents, siblings, spouse, partner, or children a victim of a violent crime in the US?

¿Es usted menor de 21 años y soltero?*

Are you under 21 and not married?

¿Tiene usted un padre, conyuge o hijo menor de 15 anos con requerimientos especiales médicos (dificultades de estudio, alergias severas, asma u otra condición medica severa)?*

Do you have a parent, spouse, or child under 15 with medical or special needs (learning disability, severe allergies or asthma, or other serious medical condition)?

¿Fue usted maltratado, abusado o abandonado por sus padres?*

Did your parents mistreat, abuse, or abandon you?



¿Tenia usted 30 anos o menos en Junio, 15, 2012?*

Were you 30 years or under on June 15, 2012?

¿Tenía usted 15 años o menos en su primera entrada en los EEUU?*

Were you 15 years old or younger on your first entry into the US?

Click below now to see if you qualify!

¡Haga clic abajo ahora para ver si califica!

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

Get Instant Access

Enter your name and email address below to get instant access.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney

¡Obtenga acceso instantáneo ahora!

Ingrese su nombre y dirección de correo electrónico a continuación