Does a Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 with a Child in the Car Affect My Immigration status in NJ?
DUI with a Child in the Car
Child endangerment is a serious offense in New Jersey. You can be facing up to 10 years in jail for a serious offense. Normally we are talking about abuse, neglect, abandonment, or some level of mistreatment. In the DUI context, the facts will be similar to:
- Operating a vehicle;
- While under the influence of drugs or alcohol; and
- Having children in the car
This is just one of those aggravating factors that I discussed in my initial article. You will have immigration consequences if you are convicted of both the DUI and the child endangerment. Child endangerment, like driving on a suspended license (39:3-40), requires a criminal state of mind. You knowingly put a child in danger to be convicted of this offense. It is thus, considered a CIMT. Depending of the severity of the charge it may also be considered a “Crime of Violence.” Under these circumstances, the child endangerment charge becomes the more problematic charge from an immigration perspective.
So What Do I Do?
If you live out of New Jersey and received a ticket/DUI in Monmouth or Ocean Counties, you can
- Download our free traffic ticket book “Why Pleading Guilty to your New Jersey Traffic Ticket is NOT an option by clicking on the title,”
- Download our DUI book, “Arrested for Drunk Driving? Learn How to Beat the Odds,”
- On the menu on the right you will find our immigration books including a tool to help you figure out if you qualify for legal status,
- You contact me through this site or the chat feature; or
- You can call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169.
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a “simple” DUI 39:4-50?
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a New Jersey Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 when My License is already Suspended?
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a New Jersey Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 based on Drugs?
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a New Jersey Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 with a Child in the Car?
- What are the Consequences to My DACA if Convicted in New Jersey for DUI 39:4-50?
- Will a Conviction for NJ DUI 39:4-50 affect my Green Card or Naturalization Application?
- Will a Conviction for NJ DUI 39:4-50 prevent me from visiting Canada?