Take this free test to see your actual risk of being deported and what you can do to stop it.
Do you worry about being Deported?
Realice esta prueba gratuita para ver su riesgo real de ser deportado y lo que puede hacer para detenerlo.
¿Te preocupa la deportación?
Does a Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 with a Child in the Car Affect My Immigration status in NJ?
DUI with a Child in the Car
Child endangerment is a serious offense in New Jersey. You can be facing up to 10 years in jail for a serious offense. Normally we are talking about abuse, neglect, abandonment, or some level of mistreatment. In the DUI context the facts will be similar to:
- Operating a vehicle;
- While under the influence of drugs or alcohol; and
- Having children in the car
This is just one of those aggravating factors that I discussed in my initial article. You will have immigration consequences if you are convicted of both the DUI and the child endangerment. Child endangerment, like driving on a suspended license (39:3-40), requires a criminal state of mind. You knowingly put a child in danger to be convicted of this offense. It is thus, considered a CIMT. Depending of the severity of the charge it may also be considered a “Crime of Violence.” Under these circumstances, the child endangerment charge becomes the more problematic charge from an immigration perspective.
So What Do I Do?
If you live out of New Jersey and received a ticket/DUI in Monmouth or Ocean Counties, you can
- Download our free traffic ticket book “Why Pleading Guilty to your New Jersey Traffic Ticket is NOT an option by clicking on the title,”
- Download our DUI book, “Arrested for Drunk Driving? Learn How to Beat the Odds,”
- On the menu on the right you will find our immigration books including a tool to help you figure out if you qualify for legal status,
- You contact me through this site or the chat feature; or
- You can call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169.
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a “simple” DUI 39:4-50?
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a New Jersey Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 when My License is already Suspended?
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a New Jersey Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 based on Drugs?
- What are the Immigration Consequences of a New Jersey Conviction for DUI 39:4-50 with a Child in the Car?
- What are the Consequences to My DACA if Convicted in New Jersey for DUI 39:4-50?
- Will a Conviction for NJ DUI 39:4-50 affect my Green Card or Naturalization Application?
- Will a Conviction for NJ DUI 39:4-50 prevent me from visiting Canada?